sharpening table saw blade?

monica123

Threads
Can you sharpen a table saw blade or is it worth it? Mine is getting dull and I will replace it if I have to, but if there is a way to reuse it, that would be great. Any other uses for used saw blades?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes ... it takes a little time, and a 'saw set' (little pliers looking tool to bend each tooth just right)...
It is generally just replaced... unless it is a LARGE diameter or exotic metal toothed blade... :smile:KennyV

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Can you sharpen a table saw blade or is it worth it? Mine is getting dull and I will replace it if I have to, but if there is a way to reuse it, that would be great. Any other uses for used saw blades?

If it's a standard steel blade, resharpening is more bother than it is worth...and using a dull blade is very dangerous on any saw, most of all on a table saw. You can buy a new steel blade (10 inch) for less than you would pay to have the old one sharpened. As a retired carpenter, I have been using radial arm, table, and miter box saws for 37 years. When I get a new saw, and it has a steel blade, off it comes and on goes a quality carbide tip. I have a number of Craftsman 10 inch, 40 tooth carbide tip blades that are over 30 years old and still cut great, and have never been sharpened. The problem with carbide tips are, the teeth are thicker and they build up pitch and residue which makes them act like they are dull. You can buy a commerial blade cleaner, but I just use paint thinner and a small brass wire brush. For really tough residue, I use a razor blade to scrape the teeth and then clean the rest off with a small wire brush chucked in a cordless drill. Carbide tip blades cost half of what they used to, I remember paying $40 for a 40 tooth 10 inch cut off blade back in '83, today despite inflation it's half that.

I give my steel blades to a friend who does fine woodworking, he uses them for ripping wet stock and then gives them to a friend who makes shop clocks out of them.

Now THATS getting real use out of a cheap blade....:laughing:

grnspot110

Threads
I prefer carbide blades for most work, more expensive up front, but last a lot longer! They can be sharpened, but this should be done by a professional in most cases. ~~ grnspot110