Has anyone built his own mower?

mullins87

Threads
Well, I've used the offset mower twice now. It has cut my mowing time nearly in half!!! So far so good though, nothing has broken or blown up yet. :thumbsup:

rer

Threads
Its good to hear it works, and cuts down on time. Also how much extra gas does it use?

mystreba

Threads
Mullins, you are the MAN! Nice work. For most, that kind of project would generally be a "slap-it-together", but you really put a lot of attention into the details.

It's been a while, but for my most recent project I made two identical mowers from scratch, back in 1999. They came out great, but I've hardly used them at all - I hope to get them into service soon. They look a little goofy, but here they are:

Dscf0010reduced.jpg

mullins87

Threads
Its good to hear it works, and cuts down on time. Also how much extra gas does it use?

It nearly doubles my gallons/hour rate, but it nearly cuts my time in half. The rider uses a little over a gallon/hour and the offset mower a little under a gallon/hour. I'd say in the end, I use about the same overall, or possibly a little less. If I were very concerned about fuel useage, I'd pull both motors and put a diesel on the rider with a PTO to drive the offset mower. :eek:

mullins87

Threads
Mullins, you are the MAN! Nice work. For most, that kind of project would generally be a "slap-it-together", but you really put a lot of attention into the details.

It's been a while, but for my most recent project I made two identical mowers from scratch, back in 1999. They came out great, but I've hardly used them at all - I hope to get them into service soon. They look a little goofy, but here they are:

Dscf0010reduced.jpg

Thank you very much! I've got a couple of mowers similar to yours, one is a 1996 model while the other is a 2000 model. Mine are a little goofy too!! :laughing:

poncho62

Threads
I built this tow behind a couple of years ago....Mainly used for tall grass and brush

Brushmower021Medium.jpg

Brushmower019Medium.jpg

mystreba

Threads
I built this tow behind a couple of years ago....Mainly used for tall grass and brush

Nice work Poncho! I need one of those for my field - I hate to run my tractor over it.

grnspot110

Threads
Picked up an engine for next winter's project the other day. Local radio station's "Trading Post" had an electric start, 12-1/2 HP Briggs for $75, When I got there it was still on the "tractor":confused2: so he could show it ran OK, I can probably use some other parts of it on my project. ~~ grnspot

Attachments

• HPIM2030.JPG
    HPIM2030.JPG
    223.3 KB · Views: 50

mullins87

Threads
Poncho, great idea! I have another 48" deck that would make a nice rough cut mower for those areas that are too tight and/or soft for the tractor and bush hog. I was looking at that deck a few days ago and wondering what I was going to do with it. You just may have given me my next project idea...well at least the next project after I build some brush forks for my front end loader bucket.

BTW: That's a nice looking Ford. I like that rear PTO.

mullins87

Threads
Picked up an engine for next winter's project the other day. Local radio station's "Trading Post" had an electric start, 12-1/2 HP Briggs for $75, When I got there it was still on the "tractor":confused2: so he could show it ran OK, I can probably use some other parts of it on my project. ~~ grnspot

Spill the beans. What's next winter's project?