Hydro replacement or rebuild???

Mr.Ed

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok... new here so bear with me. My search didn't do much for me... but I'm sure this has been covered.

I have an older (616) Grasshopper front deck that I use to do my lot... purely residential application. The thing slowly but surly had been getting less powerful in the left drive. Ive done any and all adjusting I can but it just doesn't help... the thing is shooting craps I'm afraid.

Seeing that I don't need to mow again for a few months I thought it might be a good project to pull the hydro and rebuild it over the winter. Anyone have experience with this? Can it be done at all with success and can someone with reasonable mechanical abilities handle it or is it best left to the pro's. I have a local dealer that can do the work but it's likely to cost me more that the dang thing is worth to have them tear it apart. :eek: Thanks in advance!!!

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hello Mr.Ed...
Welcome to another Kansan to a fun forum...
What part of Kansas are you?
Rebuilding a hydro is going to take a few special tools and skills... it can be done but, if I were you, I would look for a good used one... Check ebay and craigs list...
Who manufactured your hydro? and what model pump is it?
:smile:KennyV

Mr.Ed

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey Kenny!

I'm south of the KC KS area.

I don't know the make of my Hydro's... or if even if that's their proper name. I'll do some looking and see if I can figure that out. A used working one would do me fine. I just want to be able to mow full speed again and not spend a fortune doing it.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hey Kenny!

I just want to be able to mow full speed again and not spend a fortune doing it.

I understand that...
I'm just east of Wichita...

I am not familiar with your particular model, a lot of them use Eaton hydros... either combination pump wheel motors OR separate Eaton pumps and wheel motors.
Have you checked your hydraulic fluid level or changed it? :smile:KennyV

Mr.Ed

Forum Newbie
Threads
I understand that...
I'm just east of Wichita...

I am not familiar with your particular model, a lot of them use Eaton hydros... either combination pump wheel motors OR separate Eaton pumps and wheel motors.
Have you checked your hydraulic fluid level or changed it? :smile:KennyV

I bought this mower used years ago. I don't have a manual so I'm sort of flying in the dark. The hydraulic fliud level looks to be good based on the indicators on the reservoirs. I have never changed the fluid... that may be a good place to start. Is changing the fluid something that may drastically change the operation? Is there any thing that can get clogged that I can check. Thanks for your help... I appreciate it!!!

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Is changing the fluid something that may drastically change the operation? Is there any thing that can get clogged that I can check.!

Yes a fluid change can make a world of difference... That is the first thing I would do.
The shearing action of a hydraulic system breaks down the viscosity of the oil...
On the hydraulic pumps you should see the manufactures name, and model number...
Or check with your local dealers, KC should have a lot of them...
You may have a replaceable filter on each one... MOST Eaton pumps will work perfectly using a good multi visc SYNTHETIC engine oil 5W50 like Mobil1.
:smile:KennyV

Mr.Ed

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Kenny!!! I'll check it out tonight. I have a dealer not far from me so I can get fluids and filters from them. Thanks again... I'll post what I find out.

173abn

Threads
Mr.Ed ,I've got a Grasshopper and my manual says to use hydro fluid specific to Grasshopper,really expensive at [estimate] $80.00 for a 2 gal. jug. not sure what your model holds but mine took all of the 2 gal. also mine has 2 filters ,spin on kind which I replaced.I think the manual says to replace fluid and filter every 500hrs.I live around Topeka and can hook you up with a dealer in Topeka that can get you all the parts etc. if you can't find one around you. russ

garrisond4550

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just joining... I have a 2009 toro z5030. It was driving fine until I pulled the bypass levers to physically push the mower, then moved the bypass back to original position. The next time I went to use the mower only the left side would drive. Then both sides stopped driving. I tapped on the units with a rubber mallet and the right side drove forward only. I have removed the transaxles from the mower. I physically moved the bypass levers with my hand forward and aft and was able to turn the axle in either position as if the bypass is stuck. I drained the oil from both transaxles. One side had 48 oz's and the other had 44 oz's. The oil was dark with no metal in it. Does anyone have any information on this problem? Thank you in advance for your input.