coil

wizard1956

Forum Newbie
Threads
It's that time of year to start the old garden and my tiller does not agree. I have a two year old tiller with a 5 hp tecumseh it keeps blowing out burning up what ever the words are the coil goes out after maybe 2 hours of running time at $45 a stroke per coil and a unfinished garden as well as a wife with a mouth I could use some advise. I get no spark the timing is right, the key is in good shape, the coil is set at proper distance what would cause the coil to keep burning out and it factory coil's that I'm buying

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Does the tiller have an electric start. If so you may be getting 12 V to the ignition module, and that will toast one in about 1/4 second.

wizard1956

Forum Newbie
Threads
Does the tiller have an electric start. If so you may be getting 12 V to the ignition module, and that will toast one in about 1/4 second.

No I'm sorry it's not elec start, but someone told me to take the ground wire off the coil and then check for spark but they did not say what happens after that but hey thanks for the info

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you have spark with the kill wire disconnected from the coil, but no spark with it connected, then you have a short in the kill circuit. could be a bare spot in the wire where it rubs the tiller someplace.

Repeated failure of the ignition module without electric start is rare.