Repairs throwing belt

Indian4dirt

Forum Newbie
Threads
hi all!
i recently picked up an older Snapper rear engine rider mower. if i read the markings correctly, it's from the early 80's. it has a 14HP electric start. there have been a few issues as would be expected with an older model but i have one problem that just continues to baffle me. the drive belt to the mower deck keeps flying off. it seems to be related to when the drive is disengaged. from what i see in diagrams at the Snapper website, all the parts seem to be in place. i think all the correct parts are present. i'm opened to the possibility that i am operating it wrongly.
once i get it running and engaged, the thing works fine. a fresh set of blades are in order, but that will come after i get this worked out. if i need to stop for a moment to clear a path, move a hose , or anything else, and i want to get off, i need to disengage the belt or the safety switch in the seat kills the engine. when i disengage, the belt flies off. if it doesn't get destroyed i can stand the mower on end, reinstall the belt and continue, but, honestly, that process gets real old, real fast.

anybody ever have this issue? got any wise ideas? or maybe a suggestion where to look for operational instruction?

this mower is used enuff that all the original onboard stickers for each control and its function are gone.

D~~~!

:confused: :newhere:

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
anybody ever have this issue?

Yes I have found that when this happens that you have the wrong belt installed. This is the reason I try to buy my belts from the dealer if I can.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Here is a trick I have used shut the mower off while the blades are still on

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

Indian4dirt

Forum Newbie
Threads
could be. i have replaced a V belt with a V belt. since the "original" was falling off, i have experimented with modestly shorter belts. same effect. the Snapper website offers what i will assume to be the correct belt at about 3 times the price of what i get at the local mower shop or auto parts store. the website offers no clue as to why their belt is so much more expensive. with no explanation, or descriptive info to determine the differences, i'm skeptical of a rip off.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
could be. i have replaced a V belt with a V belt. since the "original" was falling off, i have experimented with modestly shorter belts. same effect. the Snapper website offers what i will assume to be the correct belt at about 3 times the price of what i get at the local mower shop or auto parts store. the website offers no clue as to why their belt is so much more expensive. with no explanation, or descriptive info to determine the differences, i'm skeptical of a rip off.

If you don't want to use a snapper belt then you have to change all your pulleys.

Snapper belts are made to match snapper pulleys. Some snappers use a double v belt

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

Indian4dirt

Forum Newbie
Threads
i'm not adverse to using Snapper belts. i just want to know what makes it different and justifies the expense.
do u know what is different?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
You didn't say which of the pulleys it is flying off of. the engine pulley, idler pulley, or the spindle pulley. Could be a belt guide problem.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
i'm not adverse to using Snapper belts. i just want to know what makes it different and justifies the expense.
do u know what is different?

They are different???. I have ran into this problem more then once in my repair shop. Yes the belt is more money but cheaper if you have to buy more then one belt.

Indian4dirt

Forum Newbie
Threads
You didn't say which of the pulleys it is flying off of. the engine pulley, idler pulley, or the spindle pulley. Could be a belt guide problem.

i can't tell where it starts to eject from. it only happens when it is running and that is when i'm on top in the seat.

Indian4dirt

Forum Newbie
Threads
They are different???. I have ran into this problem more then once in my repair shop. Yes the belt is more money but cheaper if you have to buy more then one belt.

i don't know if they r different. i'm asking if anybody knows for sure? if there is no difference, i sure don'twant to pay for the brand name. if there is a real difference, please somebody explain it to me.?