Murray Mowers

carl22

Threads
Whatever happened to Murray mowers? I still have a Murray tractor, needs belts and tires but it runs. I was at Wal-Mart this past spring looking for a little Murray push mower, but they don't have them anymore. Had to settle for a (gasp!) Weed Eater brand mower.

noma

Threads
Hay Carl22

I had a Murray mower too , it was a rider with 8 hp engine B &S . Was a good mower worked very well was a big old thing kinda hard to use in smaller places. I'm sure someone bought them out .:eek:

dgl24087

Threads
Murray went bankrupt in 2005. Briggs & Stratton purchased their assets on Feb. 11, 2005, and continues to market products under the Murray name. Home Depot, True Value Hardware and maybe Lowe's still handle Murray parts.

carl22

Threads
That's too bad. Murray was one of the better mowers, in my opinion, at a good price. I think I bought mine in 2000 and, besides the belts and tires, is still running and still looks decent today.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
That's too bad. Murray was one of the better mowers, in my opinion, at a good price. I think I bought mine in 2000 and, besides the belts and tires, is still running and still looks decent today.

Interesting that I found this discussion, I was just trying to find reasonably priced drive belts for my '89 vintage Craftsman snowblower, and a lot of places had Murray belts to fit. Cannot recall the last time I saw a Murray mower though.

carl22

Threads
Where are Brute mowers sold. They may have replaced Murray, but they don't sell them at Walmart. Or, I should say, no Walmart I've been to recently, in the Alabama/Tennessee area. I don't think I've ever heard of Brute.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have repaired some for the Effingham, IL Walmart so it may be one of those north of I-70 things.

Snr

Forum Newbie
Threads
I recently had to purchase a new mower as my Murray Select 22" 3 in 1 push mower (Briggs and Stratton 6HP engine) had rust that ate through the deck. Mower was 10 plus years old and was a great machine for me. My prior mower was also a Murray. Briggs And Stratton purchased the Murray brand in 2005, but does not presently market or distribute Murray mowers in the USA and it does not look like there are plans to revive the Murray brand in the near future. Brute mowers are also a Briggs And Stratton brand and are sold a Wal Mart.

My new mower is a Lawn Boy.

07drummerboy

Threads
I still own 2 murray ride on mowers i will do my best to post pictures up in a while.