616 grasshopper

polk

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just purchased this 616 grasshopper mower with blown motor 800 bucks. was wondering if I should put the same 16 hp vanguard motor in it or go for a bigger motor more hp. Is this mower under powered with 16 hp. also I think a 23hp koaler motor will bolt in. Any advice would be most helpful Many Thanks poky

polk

Forum Newbie
Threads
I think I must be asking stupid questions, Thanks anyway poky

BWH

Threads
You're going to like the Grasshopper! The 616 Grasshopper's frame and drive system is the same as the 620 which is a 20 HP unit, so the larger engine should not be a problem up to 20 HP. I have had good luck with the B&S Vanguard on a 612 but go with which ever you are comfortable with. It really boils down to how well a person sticks to scheduled maintenance and the quality of the oil used. Did the previous owner indicate the health of the hydros? These can be costly if they go out. How many hours are on the machine this will give you a good indication of the wear on the hydros. The last thing I will share is be aware of the power shaft length and diameter out the rear to connect to the PTO clutch and belt pulleys also the bolt pattern for the front output flange for the hydro shaft. I once measured for a conversion to an 18HP B&S V-Twin Vanguard and if I remember right it would have all worked out fine.

polk

Forum Newbie
Threads
Many thanks for your input I find this to be very helpfull. I can,t find rings, pistons or rods for the briggs 16 hp so I have a woods 1850 with a good 18 hp briggs and a lawn vac system that bolts on the grasshopper. I paid 200 for the woods 1850 with a bad hydro on the right side. The 18hp motor runs good no smoking, I would at least put new rings and run valves but I dont think I can get the parts. Talked to a briggs rep and he told me the part numbers are messed up and to get rings you have to order new pistons with rings to get them. I have have only had good luck with cast iron briggs one piston blocks. I wonder if cast iron 16 hp briggs would go in the grasshopper. Thanks for your Help, poky

BWH

Threads
I'm sure the 16HP cast Iron would fit, my 1982 1600 Grasshopper had that exact engine. Worst case you have to modify the motor mounts to get the crankshaft at the right height. I have a late 60's Bolens 1455 garden tractor that I have had numerous engines's in from Wisconsin's to Briggs&Stratton, for sure I had to rebulid motor mounts four(4) times. I know that the Woods parts are mostly interchangeble but I have never seen one up close.

Never the less Good Luck!

polk

Forum Newbie
Threads
I measured between center of drive shaft and bottom of engine, I will have to cut out base plate that hold engine and drop motor 1 inch to line up with drive shaft to hydro motors. Driveshaft to short for universal joints. We have a big tractor swap meet here at Portland IN on the 15 of may will go and see what I can find for a new motor on this grass hopper, it will be at least 20hp. I here good things about briggs motors, but I can,t find parts for them.I have two koaler 20 hp motors but I would have to much work to fit them on the grasshopper.I want the grasshopper mower for the vac system, 3acres 50 trees and I hate to rake. Like most people I have learned that getting old is not for sissys and I need all the help I can get. Thanks for your help. poky

BWH

Threads
I'm with you on the age thing. I too bought my first Grasshopper after I planted 66 Colorado Blue Spruce trees around the perimeter of my lot plus already had 11 Ash, Maple and Oak trees. Long story short I was using a 48" hydrostatic lawn tractor taking about 5.5 hours each weekend, with the Grasshopper I cut it down to just over two hours.

Good Luck at the swap meet let us know how this project comes out.

sardan

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,
I just bought to a 616 ! a 1996' but the hydro doesn't works! maybe because I am in bypass mode!
do you have the operator's manual?
where can I find it? in pdf?
Can you give me an hydro's picture with your position of the bypass mode's levers (36 and red arrow)
thank you

Attachments

• 616_1997_drive_linkage_1.gif
    616_1997_drive_linkage_1.gif
    9.2 KB · Views: 23
  • lever_grasshopper.jpg
    lever_grasshopper.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 23

BWH

Threads
You simply rotate the bypass levers forward, you should be able to move the machine forward with the levers in the bypass position and not able to move at all in the operate position.

polk

Forum Newbie
Threads
On my 616 if you pull levers up takes it out of drive mode, for each hydro, I just today cut out base plate to fit 18 hp twin briggs motor, had to lower motor 1inch to line everything up. Gotta buy a plasma cutter, took all day.Anyway I now have the power I need to climb hills and lawn vac. My 20 hp box simplicity with 60 inch deck had a right hydro blow a seal now its me and the grasshopper. I now do not trust hydro motors anymore and wonder how long they will last on grasshopper. I want to drain fluid and change but no drain pluggs. Also why dont they put filters on the hydros. Also is synthetic oil in them a posibility. They surley must have improved the new ones. Will look for rebuild kit for my simplicity hydro, but if its like briggs motors will have to pay 8 to 12 hundred bucks for new one. Just replaced motor on it for nothing. How about synthetic oil in lawn mower motors. Anybody have any luck with this.Enough complainig for one day. Thanks poky