dumping oil on bad boy ZT

marcwukits

Forum Newbie
Threads
Last year I noticed a rather disturbing oil leak under my badboy 60"ZT just behind the left side (if sitting on it) tire. Roughly a half a quarts worth. I looked underneath and it was obvious that it came from a small black nipple with a yellow cap about the size (diameter) of my index finger. In my ametuer opinion it looks like some sort of pressure release valve. I checked the oil, it was obviously low. I topped it off, started it up and waited to see if it leaked. IT DID NOT!!! I drove it around the yard for a few minutes, again not a drop leaked out. So I cut grass for 10-15 minutes and checked it again, NOTHING! Proceeded to cut the entire yard (1.5 acre), parked the mower and checked the oil again. No leaks, oil level maintained just fine. Came out to the garage two days later and it had puked oil on the floor again!! I only had one more mow for the year so I did everything described above one more time with the exact same result. This mower only has 120 hrs on it and has been maintained very well. Any suggestions as to what the problem might be. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

thanks
Marc

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just what do you have for a engine in this BADBOY?

marcwukits

Forum Newbie
Threads
oops. should have mentioned that. its the kohler courage 27hp

Threads
I had the same problem with my bad boy but it has a Briggs, but it leaked all the time so what I did was changed the drain plug ( which I be leave it is what you are discribing) if you would take the cap off and and turn a little oil should come out, when I contacted bad boy direct they have a new plug for that, which is a lot better, but this could be wrong since its a different engine

marcwukits

Forum Newbie
Threads
I made the mistake of assuming. we all know what happens when you do that. :laughing: I looked up the engine in my manual since the sticker came off it two years ago. It is the 26hp B&S. Sounds like the same problem. I will get online and order a new drainplug and see if that takes care of it. It seems wierd that it only leaks after I use it. Anyway, thanks for the help, Ive been searching for weeks online and found nothing about it.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
If I'm with you guys you were running the drain tube fitting full time? The female in the pan is a pipe thread and expects a hex headed NPT. I use a brass one without tape on my Intek 24. Vibration is probably loosening the twist shut and heat/cool is doing the rest to open it.

marcwukits

Forum Newbie
Threads
I ordered a new drain plug the other day. It was only a $10 part. will replace it when it comes and hopefully that will take care of it. Seems like a good excuse to change the oil anyway. The old one did not seem to be loose, but I didnt really crank on it either.

Heykw

Forum Newbie
Threads
I’m confused does anyone have pics?
Last year I noticed a rather disturbing oil leak under my badboy 60"ZT just behind the left side (if sitting on it) tire. Roughly a half a quarts worth. I looked underneath and it was obvious that it came from a small black nipple with a yellow cap about the size (diameter) of my index finger. In my ametuer opinion it looks like some sort of pressure release valve. I checked the oil, it was obviously low. I topped it off, started it up and waited to see if it leaked. IT DID NOT!!! I drove it around the yard for a few minutes, again not a drop leaked out. So I cut grass for 10-15 minutes and checked it again, NOTHING! Proceeded to cut the entire yard (1.5 acre), parked the mower and checked the oil again. No leaks, oil level maintained just fine. Came out to the garage two days later and it had puked oil on the floor again!! I only had one more mow for the year so I did everything described above one more time with the exact same result. This mower only has 120 hrs on it and has been maintained very well. Any suggestions as to what the problem might be. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

thanks
Marc