Comparison Tiger Cat Vs Freedom Z and engine and deck combination

maudfamilyof6

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Tiger Cat Vs Freedom Z and engine and deck combination
I知 looking to buy a new mower pretty sure it痴 going to be a scag I have looked at both mowers (tiger cat and Freedom Z) and I like the tc the best I feel that the deck is built better and will last the longest. I have prices on a 52" cut Kawasaki 22hp of $8000 and $8400 for the 27 hp Kohler and for the 61" cut 27hp Kohler $8700 and $8400 for the 24hp Kawasaki are these in line with what other see also and the biggest question i have is witch engine and deck combination would you go with. I知 a home owner with about 4 acres to mow i want a mower that will last me a long time what are your guys thoughts Kohler or Kawasaki??

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Tiger Cat Vs Freedom Z and engine and deck combination
When it comes to commercial grade ZTRs, I prefer pumps and wheel motors to hydrostatic drive units, however just my opinion. A benefit of separate hydrostatic drive units is that they are usually separate from each other hydraulicly and cross contamination is not an issue.
The highlights of the Tiger Cat are pumps and wheel motors, a more rugged deck with cast iron greaseable blade spindles, two fuel tanks, and larger diameter rear tires. ZTRs are known for tearing up turf while making turns and larger diameter rear tires reduce this effect, also having a folding ROPS is nice to have.
Can you use a 61" deck? If you don't have any width issues, I recommend the larger decks. However, if the area that you mow has an irregular surface, then the quality of cut is affected more so with wider decks.
All the specs on these machines change as the deck size increases, tire size, engine HP, etc, so check out the specs for the models that you are looking at on the Scag website so you know exactly what you are looking at along with the price comparisons of the machines that your dealer is offering to you.
Mad Mackie in CT