Walmart Murray? Mini Rider

dad7432

Threads
I am looking at a "Murray" Mini-Rider that Walmart is selling for $798.00. It's got a 24 inch deck and seems to be a perfect fit for my lot and budget. But:
1. Who the heck made this thing? It seems to have an MTD model number (Model# 13A326JC058), but is has the Murray name and is on their website.
2. I see no reviews other than what is on the Walmart site and there are only a few at that.
3. It's not clear that I can get a muching kit.
4. It looks an awful lot like the Troyblt unit sold last year that wasn't a great review.
5. I now have a Yardman Yardbug that still works ok, but is tippy on the slopes.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I am looking at a "Murray" Mini-Rider that Walmart is selling for $798.00. It's got a 24 inch deck and seems to be a perfect fit for my lot and budget. But:
1. Who the heck made this thing? It seems to have an MTD model number (Model# 13A326JC058), but is has the Murray name and is on their website.
2. I see no reviews other than what is on the Walmart site and there are only a few at that.
4. It looks an awful lot like the Troyblt unit sold last year that wasn't a great review.
5. I now have a Yardman Yardbug that still works ok, but is tippy on the slopes.
Is there something about the design of the 24 inch Mini that would make it stable on slopes ?

Threads
It sure does look a lot like the Troybilt Neighborhood Rider! :confused2:

possum

Threads
Is a MTD unit. The user manual from the Walmart site shows Thankyou for buying a MTD product. Seems to be a lighter duty clone of the neighborhood rider with a smaller engine and deck. MTD has some new stuff out this year that the folks you can talk to on the phone from MTD do not even seem to know about as of this March. I think I would call and ask about parts before thinking on a purchase. It would be unhandy to buy such a unit only to call for parts and find no one knows anything about the unit or the parts. I think a trip to the service center for these units might be in order as well. Kind of look around and find out if they even work on such items.

Buckshot 1

Threads
:smile: That thing looks kinda cute. Last info I have on Murray, B&S bought them, so I wonder where the MTD MN came from? Also whos going to do the service? I have a good relationship with several equipment dealers, and they all stated that when store bought equipment comes in for service or warranty work they go to the back of the line, as the equipment they sell and service being the 1st in line. which makes sense to me take care of your customers 1st. On the tipping, you are supposed to mow up and down on slopes not sideways.

possum

Threads
Briggs is renting the name and either contracting for the products and furnishing the engines or the store selling the items is contracting the products and renting the name and Briggs is furnishing the engines.Last year some of the products were HOP and some were MTD. Briggs is tossing in some Snapper products as well.I saw some Murray branded MTD made string trimmers online in March. This is supposed to be the results of Briggs anouncement last year of getting out of the cheaper mass market line of stuff to concentrate on their better lne of stuff from their dealerships and select stores. I doubt Briggs is to concerned with anything other than selling large numbers of engines.

dad7432

Threads
This is supposed to be the results of Briggs announcement last year of getting out of the cheaper mass market line of stuff to concentrate on their better line of stuff from their dealerships and select stores. I doubt Briggs is to concerned with anything other than selling large numbers of engines.

Huh? I don't understand how Briggs is getting out of the cheaper consumer grade stuff if they are selling brands like Murray, Brute, and Snapper at Waly's Mart!

In fact it sounds like anyone could be building the equipment that is sold under Brigg's consumer brands: Snapper, Snapper-Pro, Brute, Murray, Simplicity, Ferris, Victa. Plus Briggs is buildings tons of their engines in China....

Does anyone build consumer grade outdoor equipment/engines completely in the USA anymore? I thought Ariens did, but I saw a black snow blower in Home Depot that was labeled something like "SnoTec by Ariens" with an engine that was made in China by a company I'd never heard of. Not even a halfway decent made in China Briggs, it looked like a knock off engine on a knock off snowblower that was endorsed by Ariens.

Talk about cheapening your brand....

possum

Threads
Snotech is an Ariens snowblower. The single stage one however is a Simplicity Snapper outfit last time i looked. The engine on the two stage ones is a clone from China brought in by LCT. Snotech is Ariens compete with MTD line.

Kodie's Lawn Service

Threads

I would just not get it cause i had the weedeater one they were ok but not made to last and mtd makes them

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Briggs purchases Murray in 2005 out of backruptcy court because they owed Briggs like $32 million. But Briggs didn't get the rights to the name, and no company was allowed to use the name for 5 years or so. Last year the name became available for use, and MTD was building some of the push mowers and all the riders, and Husqvarna was making the other push mowers.

Briggs is supplying parts for the older Murray products, but parts for the newer products will depend on who made it. So as a repair shop, somebody calls me up and says I need parts for my Murray, is it a Murray original, a MTD murray, or a Husqvarna murray.