View Poll Results: Are you a member of the NRA ?

Voters
96. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    61 63.54%
  • No

    35 36.46%
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
Results 91 to 100 of 100
  1. #91
    BlazNT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    6,666
    Location
    Missouri
    Mower
    RZ5424

    Re: Are you a member of the NRA ?

    The UK is thinking about banning knives because of the deaths from knives now out way deaths by guns. The US has always had more murders by a hammer than any other device. 4 times more. So if you do not have a gun you kill just the same. Until just recently the largest mass murder was by grape juice. The second largest was a knife.
    Chuck
    We Do Not Stop Playing When We Grow Old
    We Grow Old If We Stop Playing

  2.  

  3. #92

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    10,300
    Location
    Australia
    Mower
    Victa slashers & Push , Rover Rancher II's, Cox ( several ) & White LT120 + GT 200

    Re: Are you a member of the NRA ?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpurvis View Post
    Here in the USA? Safer.

    Apparently you don't have people inclined to commit mass murder. Much the same as in Switzerland, where virtually everyone is armed. Two completely different approaches but the same result.

    No one in the USA commits murder because they're compelled by guns to do so. They commit murder because they want to and if guns weren't available, they'd still find a way.
    Quite right but some one committed to a random mass attack down here can not go get his AK 47 off the shelf behind the door then let fly with a dozen magazines.
    That limits them to things like knives and a throwing knife has an effective range of around 20 yards and a hand knife an arms reach + the weapons length.
    In most cases they can be disarmed with little more than your shirt if you know how to do it.
    A pistol has an effective range of 50+ yards and long arms up to 1000 yards and in reality can only be stopped with a bullet .

    Unlike what is glorified in almost every USA cop show, bullets flying around injure & kill lots of bystanders and a tiny fragment of a shell is quite capable of killing.
    The person who died in the Lint Cafe shooting was hit with a 3gram fragment of a hard cased projectile.
    She was in the operating theatre within 6 minutes of being shot but too much damage had been done to save her.

    If I get upset with my boss I can not go home grab 3 rifles 2 shotguns and a 1/2 dozen handguns then go back to work and let loose on everyone in sight.
    If my son feels humiliated at school he can not come home grab my gun the shoot up his teacher and all the other kids who laughed at him .
    I can go to a nightclub with some friends who are homosexual without the fear that some religious nutter will jump onto the sage then let fly with multiple assult weapons till he runs out of ammo claiming "the Lord made me do it".

    People are resourceful, as the McDonalds Chain Saw massacre proved and will use any weapon at hand so keeping firearms further away from them can only be a good idea.

    I don't know if the NRA puts pressure on your media not to report shootings but I can not remember a single week where our news has not covered a mass or at least multiple shooting some where in the USA.
    Now you lot got 10 times the people we have down here butt you could count the number of random shootings each year on the little fingers of one hand.

    So no a firearm has never jumped out of the rack, grabbed it's owner and forced him go shoot passes by.
    And by the same token, if that rife arm was locked away and the owner needed to get 2 other people to access that fire arm he is unlikely to go shoot passers by either.\
    Americans can come to Australia and go joging without the fear that a random stranger will go past and shoot them
    However Australians can not do the same in the USA , proven by the fact that last year 2 Aussies were shot by white middle class Americans for no apparent reason.
    Not robbed, totally unknown to the killers who just shot them to find out what it feels like to shoot some one.

    I actually have nothing against private fire arm ownership
    I do have a problem with a hot head having a pistol in his glove box who is likely to pull it out & shoot you because he thought you cut him off on the freeway.
    And I can not see any need for military grade firearms in private hands.
    In a country with a lot of man eating animals like cougars, bears etc, I can see the need for hunters to have sem-automatics.
    I have no problem with weapons collectors even to have an arsonnal of ex-military weapons, just so long as there are restriction to them accessing them when they are in an unfit mental condition.

  4. #93

    1,000 Post Club

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    1,225
    Location
    Kansas
    Mower
    Toro/Cub Cadet/Kubota

    Re: Are you a member of the NRA ?

    To each his own. I have no desire to live in your country and I'm sure you have no desire to live in mine.

    I can't help but wonder why our Wild West, Shoot 'Em Up Society doesn't keep all these immigrants from wanting to come here?

  5. #94

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    10,300
    Location
    Australia
    Mower
    Victa slashers & Push , Rover Rancher II's, Cox ( several ) & White LT120 + GT 200

    Re: Are you a member of the NRA ?

    Quote Originally Posted by BlazNT View Post
    The UK is thinking about banning knives because of the deaths from knives now out way deaths by guns. The US has always had more murders by a hammer than any other device. 4 times more. So if you do not have a gun you kill just the same. Until just recently the largest mass murder was by grape juice. The second largest was a knife.
    So some one with a knife killed more than 50 people and injured 400 more ?
    2017 Las Vegas shooting.

    Never head about the grape juice incident.

  6. #95

    1,000 Post Club

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    1,225
    Location
    Kansas
    Mower
    Toro/Cub Cadet/Kubota

    Re: Are you a member of the NRA ?

    Quote Originally Posted by bertsmobile1 View Post
    So some one with a knife killed more than 50 people and injured 400 more ?
    2017 Las Vegas shooting.

    Never head about the grape juice incident.

    Some nut with a truck, ammonium nitrate, diesel fuel and racing fuel killed 160. (Oklahoma City) No gun involved.

  7. #96
    Fat_Bollocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    18
    Location
    Deutschland
    Mower
    Alko

    Re: Are you a member of the NRA ?

    Quote Originally Posted by bertsmobile1 View Post
    ...Americans can come to Australia and go joging without the fear that a random stranger will go past and shoot them
    However Australians can not do the same in the USA...

    ...In a country with a lot of man eating animals like cougars, bears etc, I can see the need for hunters to have sem-automatics...
    More American joggers are likely to fall prey in Australia than Australians in America, simply because of the long-fanged spiders and most poisonous snakes you Aussies have there. What do you people do, when confronted by salt water crocodiles? I'm sure there aren't enough of you skilled enough to kill one with a throwing knife
    Okay, all joking aside, reading the Second Amendment carefully, this document wasn't meant to arm anybody who wants firearms to the gills. The purpose of this amendment was to prevent the government from erecting a standing army. Instead, every man was to be armed, in case there was a need for a public militia. In other words, the amendment was based on mistrust of the government rising up above her citizens of which we now witness a shadow government doing.
    I moved from the U.S. to Germany, decades ago and can say that if there would be identicle firearms legislation in both countries modelled on the American one, there would be much more politeness not only in traffic here

  8. #97

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    10,300
    Location
    Australia
    Mower
    Victa slashers & Push , Rover Rancher II's, Cox ( several ) & White LT120 + GT 200

    Re: Are you a member of the NRA ?

    Anti venom for the most deadly snakes spiders is distributed free to all public hospitals and administered free to any one bitten, even American tourists.
    Salties are only a problem in the North and funny enough it is usually German tourist who get bitten.
    Indonesia , Papua , Timor & Malasya are all in the salty zone and it does not seem to be a problem for them either.

    As for,snakes Australia is lower on the total snake bite fatality list than the USA we average 2 /pa and you average 5/pa although on a % of population rate we would be way in front.
    Our snakes are smarter than most
    If you are too big for it to eat it will bite you but not with venom. They need that for catching food.
    Last year 12 people died in traffic accident trying to get to a hospital after being bitten by a snake and none of them had any trace of venom.
    75% who get bitten by snakes are men trying to kill one with a shovel and the most common bite site is on the right hand & forearm.
    Snakes are protected so they all get fined as well as bitten.

    Spiders are the same.
    the most common spider bite site is on the toes of idiots who leave their shoes outside the back door overnight during the funnel web mating season.
    They get bitten when putting their shoes on because a male funnel web has crawled in there to die after copulating all night.
    Usually happens to wealthy idiots with expensive white wool carpet on their floors because they saw a photo in Vogue Living .

    It is funny that particular nationalities seem more prone to particular causes of death down here
    Japanese drown at surf beaches
    Germans play with crocks
    Poms get bitten by sharks
    Yanks die of thirst in the outback.
    Chinese fall off cliffs trying to get the perfect selfie & eat poison mushrooms
    Middle Europeans seem to get stung by jellyfish on deserted beaches.

  9. #98
    Fat_Bollocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    18
    Location
    Deutschland
    Mower
    Alko

    Re: Are you a member of the NRA ?

    Quote Originally Posted by bertsmobile1 View Post
    ...Usually happens to wealthy idiots...
    When things get bad, over here, Australia and New Zealand are potentially planned destinations for our wealthy idiots. Maybe, there's some poetic justice awaiting for them. Unfortunately, not in N.Z., unless they end up in some Moari's cooking pot.
    If P.O.M.s were not raised on flat warm beer, they might not hve been so attractive to sharks, in case sharks also prefer flat warm beer.
    Chinese seem to be victims of Darwin.
    Germans seem to have gotten so used to the two-legged predators their government let in and even somehow rationalize their existence. So used that they can't tell the difference between civilised and barbaric species anymore.
    Yanks die of thirst, because they're used to finding do-gooder/NGO-sponsored bottles of water distributed on the American side of the southern border.
    Snakes in the U.S. also dose their venom, unless they're young ones with little experience. In the south west of the U.S., there are plenty of abandoned vehicles and other debris which make suitable homes for snakes. Danger usually occurs, therefore, through negligence, there

  10. #99

    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    3
    Location
    Western NC
    Mower
    Grasshopper/Scag/Bobcat

    Re: Are you a member of the NRA ?

    Quote Originally Posted by bertsmobile1 View Post
    So some one with a knife killed more than 50 people and injured 400 more ?
    2017 Las Vegas shooting.

    Never head about the grape juice incident.
    Mass killings by firearms are rare here in the US. Are shootings rare? No. But "mass killings" by a firearm is. Most mass killings are done by detonating devices and homemade bombs, just like in the rest of the world. And the biggest so far was done by box cutters. Yes, box cutters, do you know anything about the 911 attack over here?

    Firearms have saved far more lives than they have killed. If laws could fix things, then we would need no self protection devices at all, or even police for that matter cause everyone would behave. And anti gun take firearms out of the hands of the innocent, leaving honest people defenseless. If laws fixed things, there would be no robbery, rape, murder, etc.

    So in light of this, what makes you think that laws will take firearms out of the hands of the criminals? Why would they be concerned? And you can't say that it would make then harder to obtain. Look at Venezuela, Brazil, Mexico. These are all countries which citizens are prohibited from carrying a firearm. You have gangsters robbing people all the time, drug cartels ruling over people, sex trafficking, murder rate is high, and citizens are defenseless. You think if we disarm Americans completely that it wouldn't soon take over here? Chicago has the highest murder rate in the US, and it is a gun free city, yet this is where most gun violence takes place. Why? Cause criminals do not regard the law and obtain firearms anyway. Just like they obtain illegal drugs.

  11. #100

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    10,300
    Location
    Australia
    Mower
    Victa slashers & Push , Rover Rancher II's, Cox ( several ) & White LT120 + GT 200

    Re: Are you a member of the NRA ?

    Well that depends upon the definition of mass shootings.
    According to at least one USA who defines a mass shooting as one where 4 or more people other than the shooter are shot there were 317 mass shootings in 2018 till November and from memory there were a dozen more during December.
    https://www.businessinsider.com.au/h...18-2?r=US&IR=T

    So that is about 1 each & every day.

    As for mass murder not involving fire arms they are quite rare .
    Using the same criteria of 4 bystanders injured there were 26 mass murder incidents last year
    A passer buy with a gun would not have prevented a single one of them .

    There will always be people who for some reason or the other want to kill some one.
    You will never be able to stop that happening.

    However restricting the ready access to fire arms and the type of firearms available will reduce the number of emotional shootings.
    Things like the 12 year old whoshot up his teacher then all of his classmates
    What was supposed to happen, all of the 12 year olds pull their 38's and have a show down at the OK Corral for real ?
    Was the teacher supposed to whip out he 48 and blast her students head off splattering his brains all over the walls & the other children.
    And if your child was in the room and got accidentially shot would you say "No Worries, you got the shooter so I am happy to have a child with one arm or a bullet through his chest "?

    It is hard enough for the fire arm experts to work out where & when it is safe to shoot an armed offender without Joe public whipping out his auto and letting fly with 20 rounds hoping no bystanders get turned into dog food.

    As for comparrisons between a country like the USA that has a well trained police force and a reasonable culture of law & order to a regeime where the rule of law is not enforced and rule is effectivly by armed warlords is stupid even to a 5 year old.

    The only thing that happens when you have a armed civilians running around at a shooting is a lot more people who should not get shot end up in ER.

    And if you honestly believe the only way to obtain law & order is a civilised society is to have every one running around with a 48 strapped to their hip & an M16 in the trunk then I am wasting my time as excessive watching of The Rifleman, Wyatt Erpp etc, etc etc has caused cerebral necrosis to the point that reasoned rational debate with you is impossible.

    As for 911, cabin crew trained in basic self defence would have nipped that in the bud
    Unfortunately the USA travelling public would rather perve at a sexy hosties undies that be protected by properly trained staff.

    All school age children should be taught basics self defence as in UNARMED COMBAT then a thug with a knife, boxcutter, crow bar, etc is no longer a petrified with fear threat.
    The Arabs recognised a weakness in US society and exploited it.
    Better security intell would have been a lot more use in protecting the people than every person on the planes carrying a fire arm.
    Very few people can shoot another person.
    It is a big problem when training security personnel and one of the reasons why a large number of ex-military personnel are such a mental mess and end up killing their family, usually with a fire arm.

Similar Threads

  1. new member
    By David a in forum New Members
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-22-2012, 06:10 PM
  2. New member in TX
    By Chris in TX in forum New Members
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-20-2012, 10:56 AM
  3. New Member
    By DRC in forum New Members
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-25-2012, 01:18 PM
  4. Engine member
    By louisjerry in forum Mower & Equipment Operation
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-26-2012, 09:17 PM
  5. New member here in IN.
    By win87 in forum New Members
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-03-2011, 04:16 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •