Turf-Master Review

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I purchased the Turf-Master as a kind of replacement mower for my Cub Cadet G1336 Walk Behind mower. For the money I was spending I was a bit skeptical at first and more so buying it sight unseen. The Turf-Master is basically a cross between my 1336 and a rear-bagging self propelled mower, it's a lot easier to handle even at 167 lbs than a 400 lb WB mower. It's a perfect mower for residential yards and has the best cut of any self-propelled push mower I've seen or used, it gives the operator the best of both worlds. Unlike the the larger WB it gives the operator the option of being more of a detail mower along with a 30" cut with considerable time savings over the the standard 21" mower and the wheel height adjusts are fantastic.

To those who are thinking about the Exmark 30" that is basically the Toro I would say check the mowers out carefully because there are some differences between it and the Turf-Master, Like the Turf-Masters Bull Nose Bumper, Deck skid Plates and Wheel Adjustments gives the Toro a leg up on the Exmark in ease of use only because it to is an excellent mower.

In closing if you are hesitating on the purchase of The Time-Master, Turf-Master, or Exmark 30" don't hesitate any longer, You wont be disappointed. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited:

mowerman05

Threads
still waiting to try out my exmark 30. the wheel adjust does concern me only because I change wheel height often as many customers like it different heights. the mulch plug is also a concern until I have a chance to try it out.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
still waiting to try out my exmark 30. the wheel adjust does concern me only because I change wheel height often as many customers like it different heights. the mulch plug is also a concern until I have a chance to try it out.

I'm like you, I have to many customers and they all want a different height. Up until I purchased the Toro I was using the CC mowers with the caster wheels and as far as mowing they are great but the height adjustments were a Pita. Like you the Exmark concerned me because there not that much different than the CC I was using being independent adjustments.

ross93

Threads
im considering buying this mower but its kinda hard buying something sight unseen. would this make a good main mower for a 10 lawn schedule with no trailer? can you use self propel without the blades?
does it clog up more than a 21" mower?

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
im considering buying this mower but its kinda hard buying something sight unseen. would this make a good main mower for a 10 lawn schedule with no trailer? can you use self propel without the blades?
does it clog up more than a 21" mower?

Whether or not it would make a good main mower for a 10 lawn schedule or not would depend on the individual using the mower. When buying this mower Consider the weight at 167lbs, is it something you want to handle or not. I can tell you I wouldn't be afraid to make it my main mower for a 10 lawn schedule but anymore than that you have to really start looking at the time you will be spending, even with the time savings you will gain over a 21" because as I've said before, in Lawn care time is money. That being said I use the Turf Master every day and mower as many 6 to 8 lawns and the rest with the Grandstand or ZTR. The Turf Master will give you an excellent cut and yes with the blade brake can still self propelled without the blades no problem. I mulch most all the time and never have had the mower choke out or leave clumps of grass. I start mowing at 7:30am and as of yet even in the wet I don't have those problems. As I said in the earlier post I purchased mine sight unseen and haven't been disappointed in any way what so ever, it's just my opinion but at the present the Turf Master and the Exmark 30" mowers are the best self propelled push mowers on the market and in the class of self propelled mowers nothing in the market that can compete with either.

ross93

Threads
how does the self propel do on hills? can you hold the mower back and spin the tires on pavement? I ask because I used my friends sr4 and I had to push it up hills

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
how does the self propel do on hills? can you hold the mower back and spin the tires on pavement? I ask because I used my friends sr4 and I had to push it up hills

Ok to start with your hills and mine are going to be different, remember I'm in Florida and I have slopes :smile:. Any hills that are here have not been a problem. As far as holding the mower back and spinning the wheels on pavement that I've never tried but I know the mower has enough power you'll play H-E two sticks try to hold it in on spot when the drive is engaged and keep in mind that the drive on the Turfmaster is adjustable for your personal comfort level.
I seen one review where an individual claimed that the Turf master clumps there grass or it's under powered and it's simply not true. 90% of the people who make those claims have no clue how to run the mower or cut grass correctly. That 90% will go out in there yard with six or seven inch high grass and try cutting it down to two and a half inches and wonder why the grass clumps and the mower powers down.
14442-turf-master-review-duh-gif
There's no self propelled push mower that will handle that.

The thing is your asking about hills and how the mower is going to handle them and the power of the mower. I'm assuming your hills are DIRT, hard dirt which would be great for a mower of this type, try mowing a lawn that you leave wheel ruts in with a 167lb mower. I mow St Augustine grass that is grown in muck on muck farms and place on top of a clay base so water doesn't drain and people love to water daily, if the mower will handle that I dare say it will handle most any hill you have and have more than ample power.

Attachments

• Duh....gif
    Duh....gif
    4.4 KB · Views: 543
Threads
Ok to start with your hills and mine are going to be different, remember I'm in Florida and I have slopes :smile:. Any hills that are here have not been a problem. As far as holding the mower back and spinning the wheels on pavement that I've never tried but I know the mower has enough power you'll play H-E two sticks try to hold it in on spot when the drive is engaged and keep in mind that the drive on the Turfmaster is adjustable for your personal comfort level.
I seen one review where an individual claimed that the Turf master clumps there grass or it's under powered and it's simply not true. 90% of the people who make those claims have no clue how to run the mower or cut grass correctly. That 90% will go out in there yard with six or seven inch high grass and try cutting it down to two and a half inches and wonder why the grass clumps and the mower powers down.

How about grass that is 4-5 inches tall?

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
How about grass that is 4-5 inches tall?

Fact is to a certain extent it's not the height of the grass being cut that the problem, it's the setting on the mower you are cutting with that's the problem. Lets look at the picture you post this morning, by the looks of your Honda and its mowing path your cutting about twice as much grass as you should be which tells me your height adjustment is incorrect. Lets say as you asked your grass is 5 inches tall, what height should the mower be set to remove one third the height of that grass or how many inches of grass do you remove?

Threads
Lets say as you asked your grass is 5 inches tall, what height should the mower be set to remove one third the height of that grass or how many inches of grass do you remove?

I should set the mower at 3.5". But I usually cut at 3.0".