Turf-Master Review

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I should set the mower at 3.5". But I usually cut at 3.0".

If you have grass that is 5 inches tall you should remove no more than 1.6 inches to keep the grass and its root system healthy and the mower cutting correctly. That's the problem, to many people would cut the grass down to 2 or 2 1/2 Inches and then when the mower clumps grass and powers down they blame the mower because of what it's doing when in reality there trying to make the mower do something it's not capable of doing.

Threads
If you have grass that is 5 inches tall you should remove no more than 1.6 inches to keep the grass and its root system healthy and the mower cutting correctly. That's the problem, to many people would cut the grass down to 2 or 2 1/2 Inches and then when the mower clumps grass and powers down they blame the mower because of what it's doing when in reality there trying to make the mower do something it's not capable of doing.

The thing is I try to stick with cutting at 3.0" because if I cut it higher than I would need to come back sooner to cut it again and I don't have time to come back like 3 days later! :rolleyes:

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads

I agree 100%

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
The thing is I try to stick with cutting at 3.0" because if I cut it higher than I would need to come back sooner to cut it again and I don't have time to come back like 3 days later! :rolleyes:

I agree here. 3 in is all I cut down to doesn't matter if its 10 in long if I cut 10 grass to 6 in then it grows 7 more in the next week I come back it'll be 13 in long then I cut it at 8 in tall come back in a week and it'll be 16 in long not a good pattern when I can only get to a lawn every 7 days

Threads
I agree here. 3 in is all I cut down to doesn't matter if its 10 in long if I cut 10 grass to 6 in then it grows 7 more in the next week I come back it'll be 13 in long then I cut it at 8 in tall come back in a week and it'll be 16 in long not a good pattern when I can only get to a lawn every 7 days

Yes! I agree 100%!

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
You have to remember that grass is like 80% water and when you remove more than a third it could or can send grass into what's called physiological shock, which leaves the lawn prone to invasion by weeds and less able to cope with drought and other environmental stresses. If the grass gets so long that you can't get it down to proper length in one mowing, wait a day or two and mow again. The more often you mow and the less grass you remove with each mowing the thicker and healthier your lawn is likely to become.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
You have to remember that grass is like 80% water and when you remove more than a third it could or can send grass into what's called physiological shock, which leaves the lawn prone to invasion by weeds and less able to cope with drought and other environmental stresses. If the grass gets so long that you can't get it down to proper length in one mowing, wait a day or two and mow again. The more often you mow and the less grass you remove with each mowing the thicker and healthier your lawn is likely to become.

How excatly am I supposed to do that. Go back in two and three days? I am in a different part of town every day they are on either 7 or 14 day cycle the grass does just finebeing cut low. Temps get 100 degrees and dry and the grass grows just fine.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
How excatly am I supposed to do that. Go back in two and three days? I am in a different part of town every day they are on either 7 or 14 day cycle the grass does just finebeing cut low. Temps get 100 degrees and dry and the grass grows just fine.

I think he my have been talking about if its your own yard.

But he is right you really never want to take more than 1/3 off the height of the grass. Even trees or shrubs never take more than 1/3

If you have yards that are on a 14 day cut and they are getting over 6 inches I don't see how they can look good. Years ago I had homeowners want there grass cut every two weeks cause they said it don't grow I hit them hard with fert and had to cut them every week.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
I think he my have been talking about if its your own yard.

But he is right you really never want to take more than 1/3 off the height of the grass. Even trees or shrubs never take more than 1/3

If you have yards that are on a 14 day cut and they are getting over 6 inches I don't see how they can look good. Years ago I had homeowners want there grass cut every two weeks cause they said it don't grow I hit them hard with fert and had to cut them every week.

My every two week yard probably classify more under weed mowing... the people who really don't care.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
My every two week yard probably classify more under weed mowing... the people who really don't care.

I understand.