2001 Cub Cadet 2166

rod13

Forum Newbie
Threads
mower runs but idles rough and backfires. I called the dealer and they said the "coil" was probably going out and needed to be replaced. the item is $70 and just wanted to get a second opinion.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Whats your engine details?
Post model like model,type,code and serial numbers.
Also info like when does it run rough like hot or cold etc.

shillnav

Threads
Rod, look on the engine itself and you'll find the numbers Pug has asked for.

That dealer must be very good if over the phone he's told it's idling rough and backfires, and decides it's the coil going bad.

rod13

Forum Newbie
Threads
I will get the numbers after work and post tomorrow. Thanks for the quick responses.

rod13

Forum Newbie
Threads
This is from the mower engine: Kohler Command OHV 16

This is from the sticker on the bottom of the hood:

13A-214G100
1A273G30032
Tractor: 42DKHYDRO

serial #4303351659

Buckshot 1

Threads
:smile:Those are tractor numbers, need the engine numbers.

rod13

Forum Newbie
Threads
thanks for the help. this one is gone. it has fuel in the oil and i was told that the motor was not worth repairing. i am now looking to buy another one.

shillnav

Threads
Rod, fuel in the oil is not necessarily a big deal. I see that all the time. Carb doesn't shut off the fuel flow, it runs into the cylinder head and down into crankcase................ Simple carb rebuild, not expensive.............. I did one last week, same thing and the week before that as well.

shillnav

Threads
Just curious,is the person that told you this engine is gone trying to sell you a new mower? a new engine? is he trying to get you to trade yours in and he'll end up with your mower and the engine "that's gone?"

rod13

Forum Newbie
Threads
No, he's not trying to sell me anything. He's a mechanic friend but not a small engine mechanic. Thanks for the reply! I will take it to a small engine repair and get a second opinion.

I started it up cold when we looked at it. It ran fine and even mowed for about two minutes before backfiring and quitting. It will restart, but runs very rough. It was low on oil. I had to add about 3/4 quart. He thought I ran it with low oil and perhaps cracked the block allowing fuel into the oil. I am trying to repeat basically what he said because I am not a mechanic.