Push Mowing Niche Market For Part-Time/Start Up. Advise/Thoughts?

Mowmanks

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Push Mowing Niche Market For Part-Time/Start Up. Advise/Thoughts?
I already have a full time job with a lawn care company but looking to make extra money by offering a 'push mow only' lawn service. I'll be going on my sixth year as a landscaper/mower and have plenty of experience mowing.
I don't have a lot of money to buy nice equipment. So I thought I could appeal to a certain customer base by doing a push mow only service.
I know some people do not like having the heavier mowers because they can leave ruts and most operators, atleast in my experience, never fully pick up how mow a yard without tearing up grass on turns and sharp corners leaving the yard tore up at the end of the year after going over it week after week.
I not only hope to keep cost down but I think it sounds better to customers who think I chose to do push mow only service because I want to accommodate them instead of a broke guy out there trying to make a few extra dollars.
What I was wanting help with is how should I advertise it to people? How do I convince them what I'm doing is better? How do I get that across on a flier with writing out a hundred words? Also, should I mention other types of work I could like trimming bushes or should I just focus on mowing to bring customers in and go from there?

mowerman05

Threads
I think push mowing only is a great idea. Alot of my customers dont like the zturn in there yard so I use a walk behind. how to advertise? good luck and keep mowing.

lawnguy1

Threads
Mowmanks, I actually have a lot of clients who prefer push mowing. First of all, I want to labor the point that using push mowers DOES NOT make your service look inferior to others. In fact, with some clients ( especially older people) you will get more respect in the opinion that they admire the fact you're going about it that way. Secondly, if you are only using push I want to offer some advice that proved very tangible for me a while back.. Target neighborhoods with post stamp yards and offer a neighborhood special on the flyer explaining that if you get enough clients you can provide a lower cost.. this works as they will talk to eachother and basically promote ur service for you. Thirdly, if you're going to use a push mower commercially you have to make sure to maintenance it consistently, major emphasis on air filter! Good luck! I think you'll do fine

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I only push mow. I have found over the years that if you get into a subdivision with nice yards that the homeowners want there yard groomed not just mowed you will do very well. Most homeowners do not mind paying more money for a well groomed yard.

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
IMO I have never saw a yard that was cut with a big mower look good. There is always fat tire tracks.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I already have a full time job with a lawn care company but looking to make extra money by offering a 'push mow only' lawn service. I'll be going on my sixth year as a landscaper/mower and have plenty of experience mowing.
I don't have a lot of money to buy nice equipment. So I thought I could appeal to a certain customer base by doing a push mow only service.
I know some people do not like having the heavier mowers because they can leave ruts and most operators, atleast in my experience, never fully pick up how mow a yard without tearing up grass on turns and sharp corners leaving the yard tore up at the end of the year after going over it week after week.
I not only hope to keep cost down but I think it sounds better to customers who think I chose to do push mow only service because I want to accommodate them instead of a broke guy out there trying to make a few extra dollars.
What I was wanting help with is how should I advertise it to people? How do I convince them what I'm doing is better? How do I get that across on a flier with writing out a hundred words? Also, should I mention other types of work I could like trimming bushes or should I just focus on mowing to bring customers in and go from there?

I agree with what you are trying to do. I also agree that the push mower gives a better cut and that there is a market for your attempting to make some extra money, but the problem with doing it commercially is ( TIME ) If I were to attempt what you are suggesting, the mowers I would use would be the Toro TurfMaster 30" or The Exmark 30" Other wise I can't see how you can do enough lawns commercially in a day to have or run a business with just a push mower. JMO.

lawnguy1

Threads
Ten small yards at 25 each is 250 a day though. I mean if you bust your hump you can may make it work

Mowmanks

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm definitely not trying to get into big commercial accounts. Looking to target small/medium sized yards that I could mow in 30min or so.

Lawnguy1 thanks for your suggestion on giving neighborhood discounts. Sounds like a great idea to me. Gets the people talking and would save time and money staying in one area opposed to moving from place to place.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ten small yards at 25 each is 250 a day though. I mean if you bust your hump you can may make it work

Yeah I agree, if you bust your hump you can may make it work, but that's a lot of hours a day if your doing trimming, edging and blowing off. The way I look at it is if it could be done on a day in day out basis I think you would see every guy or lawncare business that pulls a trailer with just push mowers.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
The thing with doing yards with a push mower is your not going to do the big yards that pay $25 your going to do the smaller yards that will pay $45
I see guys cutting a 1/4 acre yard with a 50 inch ztr all the time for $15. $20 you can go in that neighborhood and take most of his yards and charge $40.

Stripe nice straight lines