Blade Pitch Professionals Use????

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
While prepping my new Gravely for the season this past weekend I read through the Owner's Manual thoroughly. While reading the section regarding "Leveling The Mower Deck" I discovered some information that was new to me(as is a lot about mowing:0)
In the section for checking the blade level and pitch, the recommendation was to ensure that the blade tips were the same distance from the ground with all blades aiming side-to-side. Then the recommendation with the blades aiming front-to-back was for the front tip to be 1/8 inch lower than the rear. That is the deck leveling as I had always understood it.
But.......the instructions had a NOTE: that stated "Pitching the front of the blades lower than the rear provides a balance between cut quality and the power needed to cut the grass. Certain cutting conditions require the deck to be pitched with the rear of the blades lower than the front. Heeling the deck this way requires more engine power but can provide better cut quality."
Sooooooooooo, what do some of you guys that mow for a living do regarding the pitch of your blades? Since you are always wanting the customer to be impressed with the cut quality, do you "heel the deck blade pitch" or is there more to this to determine if your engine has "the power" to mow that way??????

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
While prepping my new Gravely for the season this past weekend I read through the Owner's Manual thoroughly. While reading the section regarding "Leveling The Mower Deck" I discovered some information that was new to me(as is a lot about mowing:0)
In the section for checking the blade level and pitch, the recommendation was to ensure that the blade tips were the same distance from the ground with all blades aiming side-to-side. Then the recommendation with the blades aiming front-to-back was for the front tip to be 1/8 inch lower than the rear. That is the deck leveling as I had always understood it.
But.......the instructions had a NOTE: that stated "Pitching the front of the blades lower than the rear provides a balance between cut quality and the power needed to cut the grass. Certain cutting conditions require the deck to be pitched with the rear of the blades lower than the front. Heeling the deck this way requires more engine power but can provide better cut quality."
Sooooooooooo, what do some of you guys that mow for a living do regarding the pitch of your blades? Since you are always wanting the customer to be impressed with the cut quality, do you "heel the deck blade pitch" or is there more to this to determine if your engine has "the power" to mow that way??????

I don't mow for a living and really don't care to but I can tell you are wanting a perfect lawn with your new ( Gravley and congratulations ).

I really can't see where there would be a lack of power in your situation so if I were you I would adjust for the best cut . And speaking of leveling for the best cut, put your tape measure back where it belongs and build yourself a leveling gauge so you don't drive yourself to the institution over this leveling job that can be made very simple .

Leveling on a level surface . The surface your mower is on doesn't need be level but flat is very important for precision adjustments . A 15 degree incline will work just as well as a level surface as long as it is flat .

Attachments

• deck  gauge.jpg
    deck gauge.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 39

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't mow for a living and really don't care to but I can tell you are wanting a perfect lawn with your new ( Gravley and congratulations ).

I really can't see where there would be a lack of power in your situation so if I were you I would adjust for the best cut . And speaking of leveling for the best cut, put your tape measure back where it belongs and build yourself a leveling gauge so you don't drive yourself to the institution over this leveling job that can be made very simple .

Leveling on a level surface . The surface your mower is on doesn't need be level but flat is very important for precision adjustments . A 15 degree incline will work just as well as a level surface as long as it is flat .

SandburRanch,
Thanks for the advice!!! Yeah, I had leveled the deck on my old lawn tractor and used a tape measure.....al the time thinking "there's gotta be an easier way to do this"!!!! That homemade blade level is a GREAT idea and simple enough for "a caveman to do it":0) I'm gonna try the rear blade tip lower than the front after the first time I mow this season and see if I can tell a difference the second time I cut.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I change and label strips frequently when leveling but if you run short on styrofoam strips just visit the coffee / soft drink shop . :laughing: I forgot to mention the pencil line in the top indent is the first mark made and is for reference to distinguish from the second . That's so this cave man doesn't get confused as he moves from L to R or front to back . :confused2: Also if the blades are razor sharp, as I suspect yours are, a feather light touch to the blade is all that's required . This is also an excellent way to determine if one blade half is bent .

Note: A couple of 1/4 inch wide strips of DUCK tape will also hold the strip on the gauge very well . Sometimes I forget how handy that product is .

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I use a home made device to level the decks also. Take a rod coupler (5/16 or 3/8 works the best) insert a bolt and your ready to go. All you need is a flat surface and a good creeper to go from one side to the other, plus it fits easily in your tool box.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I use a home made device to level the decks also. Take a rod coupler (5/16 or 3/8 works the best) insert a bolt and your ready to go. All you need is a flat surface and a good creeper to go from one side to the other, plus it fits easily in your tool box.

Rivets,
So do you use the "traditional" pitch with the front blade tip lower than the back.....or the opposite?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I always set the front a 1/8 to a 1/4 higher than the back.
If you ever have a mower that leaves a strip of grass uncut in the middle of the deck where the blades meet. Set the front of the deck higher than the back.

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I always set the front a 1/8 to a 1/4 higher than the back.
If you ever have a mower that leaves a strip of grass uncut in the middle of the deck where the blades meet. Set the front of the deck higher than the back.

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

I know that most golf courses, football fields, etc. mostly use the huge and expensive Commercial Triplex 7 blade double roller-Hydraulic driven reel assemblies for a quality cut(that looks like an NFL football field). But I'm beginning to think that this tidbit about blade pitch(with the front higher than the back)I picked up in my Gravely manual(might just be because it's a "Commercial" model) is a "well hidden secret" that gives Professional Landscapers an edge on making yards look better when they cut them:0)

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I always set the front 1/8"-1/4" lower in the front.