Snapper 28" 1992 rear engine Snapper cutting height and grease fittings.

sjackson57

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Snapper 28" 1992 rear engine Snapper cutting height and grease fittings.
I have recently acquired a used Snapper 28" riding mower. Model 281011BE with rear mount Brigg's and Stratton 10 HP engine. Although the mower is about a 1991 or 1992 year it is overall in good condition. Previous owner had it in storage for 10 years. I gave it a complete maintenance, rebuilt carb, new battery, blade sharpen, a quart of 00 grease in the two gear boxes, new axle protectors, new front tires and a few other new parts and she runs great. It has only been run on a well maintained lawn, no sand. Overall I think I have acquired a great mower that has many years of life left in it.

I have a question about the cutting height. The mower is cutting a little short. I believe I have the cutting height at the highest setting (6)? I have St. Augustine grass and used the highest setting on my former toro walk behind self propelled. I am wanting the same setting on the Snapper. The height adjustment lever is on six. Will the mower go any higher? Hi would be the next line after 6? Also on my mower I see in the manual where a grease fitting is supposed to be marked 2L on the the blade spindle. I do not find this grease fitting on my mower. I have found grease fittings on both front wheels and on one rear wheel. Are there any other grease fittings that I have missed. If anyone has any other comments to add about my purchase I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Scott Bradenton, FL

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
To raise the deck make the chains a link shorter

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

sjackson57

Forum Newbie
Threads
thanks for your help, I'll try it.

Threads
***I moved your thread to the Snapper Forum so people can better find the info they need. :smile:
Good luck!

snapperresto1

Threads
Models vary, however, there is one grease fitting on the inside of the shifter, one on each rear wheel, and one on the bottom of the blade spindle housing, and one where the front tube passe thru the main frame. Some replacement spindle housings (made later) omit the grease fitting as the grease only served to dissipate heat, i.e. the spindle bearings are sealed on each side. Does yours have the bicycle type handlebars or a rectangular plastic steering wheel?

sjackson57

Forum Newbie
Threads
rectangular type steering wheel

twinsig

Forum Newbie
Threads
realize this is an old post, so did the chain adjustment help you?
I raised mine but it just raises the rear only.
Once mine is at 6 i can lift the front with the lever a few inches, almost like it has the wrong set up in the front