Torque converter question

handirifle

Threads
I am sorry if this is in the wrong forum, or web site for that matter, but I don't know where else to ask it. This is still on the same project as the 11hp Briggs question, an old Heald Hauler 3 wheeler. Now that I have the engine going, i need to work on the old crusty (rusty) brake lines, but my question for you guys, is on the Torque Converter drive. I have looked the Heald manual over several times and see references to when the belt might be too loose or too tight, but nothing giving me an idea of an adjustment setting for starting tension. Should the belt be loose when the engines off, or slightly loose or what? Any suggestions?

Thanks again guys.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The belt sits pretty loose on most pieces if equipment when the engine is not running. I don't know about your piece of equipment directly, but It sits loose on 4 wheelers, gators, and go carts. which is basically the same system.

How does it pull when the engine is running. Smoothly, with good pull, or jumpy and slipping.

Buckshot 1

Threads
:smile: The belt should be loose and the driver free wheeling when starting. I would suspect, after sitting around the driver needs cleaned, as it may not be opening all the way to allow slack in the belt. Also when cleaning the driver make sure the brass bushing is turning free and do not use any oil or grease to lube the driver. You may want to replace the belt, as it is probably dry and brittle from sitting.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
The first question would be what type of Torque converter do you have? CVT like on a ATV or snowmobile,
Hydraulic like in a car, mechanical like in a go-cart, There are different style torque converters which all work
different and would take different belt tension.

handirifle

Threads
Its a mechanical, there are no hydraulics. The manual says to lube it periodically, and I have not done that just yet. It works like the one on my go kart but I wasnt sure they were all set up the same. I have the final drive chain off to soak in oil cause it was very rusted, so it was allowing the belt to spin with no load on it, thus spinning the gearbox as well. The belt thus far looks surprisingly good.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Its a mechanical, there are no hydraulics. The manual says to lube it periodically, and I have not done that just yet. It works like the one on my go kart but I wasnt sure they were all set up the same. I have the final drive chain off to soak in oil cause it was very rusted, so it was allowing the belt to spin with no load on it, thus spinning the gearbox as well. The belt thus far looks surprisingly good.

If it is a go cart type the drive is on the engine and as you bring the RPMs up weights move out and the clutch (small set of brake shoes) tighten agance a drum that drives the belt. The belt tension you would want tight all the time with about a 1/2 in. of flex in the belt.

handirifle

Threads
If it is a go cart type the drive is on the engine and as you bring the RPMs up weights move out and the clutch (small set of brake shoes) tighten agance a drum that drives the belt. The belt tension you would want tight all the time with about a 1/2 in. of flex in the belt.

This one sits on the engine, and drives a gear box (forward/reverse) that drives the rear axle with a chain.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Its all a guessing game as to what you have. If you have a way, sent some pictures? Would like to see the complete outfit also.

handirifle

Threads
I will take some pics tomorrow and post them in the evening.

handirifle

Threads
OK a day late, but not a dollar short :biggrin:, sorry a little attempt at humor.

I got the pictures, so I will post them now.

First is the Hauler rear sticker so you see the company logo.

Tailgatesticker_zps3f5a3a9a.jpg

Then the whole thing, with bed closed and seat down. The bed is a dump bed and the seat lifts up for engine access.

wholehauler_zpsf378f256.jpg

Next the torque converter from above. Hope this helps identify it.

Topofconverter_zpse62662e2.jpg

A close up of the engine part of the converter

comettorqueconverter_zps25aa4636.jpg

Next the whole drive train, minus the brakes. I took them off to TRY to repair them, but am not too optimistic. As you can see from the ever present rust on the truck, it sat outside for a LONG time. The drive belt IS cracked quite a bit on the inside, once I looked closer.

reardrive_zpsc3617e32.jpg

Topofconverter_zpse62662e2.jpg

Attachments

• wholehauler_zpsf378f256.jpg
    wholehauler_zpsf378f256.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 6