Who would like to go through it with a noob?

Threads
As the title says I am a noob and I have been obsessed with wanting to tinker with an engine. I have always wanted to do something mechanical and I have a perfect opportunity.

My old John Deere lawn mower was/is my most favorite mower I have ever earned. However about three years ago it just stopped working, and now three years later I want to give a shot at fixing it up. As far as I remember the rip cord got hard to pull (I think) my arm was probably just getting tired from trying to start it so many times. However I remember my friend coming over and sucking out a fuel line.....or the tube that was hanging from it. We got it to start for like two seconds and die. Who would like to tell me what to check/do first? I will include pictures maybe even video on my journey to fixing my first mower. :) so who would like to give it a shot with me?

Here it is right now.

Attachments

• IMAG0138.jpg
    IMAG0138.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 34
Threads
Clean out the fuel tank, and lines then sand the flywheel, coil, change the plug, and change the oil. If it has alot of hrs on it then an overhaul might be the way to go.

Threads
Ok, its late today so I will try to get a start on it tomorrow. Of the list you gave me which would you say is the most simple and easy to do thing atm?

Also thank you for the reply.

(also, I'm pretty sure it has a lot of hours on it)

Threads
Ok, its late today so I will try to get a start on it tomorrow. Of the list you gave me which would you say is the most simple and easy to do thing atm?

Also thank you for the reply.

(also, I'm pretty sure it has a lot of hours on it)

You might do a compression test first if you dont have a guage your local parts store should have one to use, or buy. Post the engine #s on here when you get time, and it will give everyone something to go on. It will help with info on rebuild kits, etc.

Threads
A Compression test, alright I will try to get one ordered.

More pictures of the mower with what I think are the #'s you where looking for.

Attachments

• IMAG0147.jpg
    IMAG0147.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 19

chance123

Threads
There should be numbers on the engine itself

Threads
How do you clean the gas tank and lines? Do you guys know of any good instructional videos or pages with step by step stuff?

Also "hi" it was super cold and I had a lot going on when I first made this thread so everything got put on hold a couple days after I posted this, but now its summer and I'm ready to make this thing happen.

Threads
Also, I found the manual online and I THINK this is the engine stuff you where asking me to get, its a fc150v kawasaki engine.

chance123

Threads
How do you clean the gas tank and lines?

I usually replace the fuel lines and for gas tanks, I use degreaser and gravel and shake shake shake. This has been done for years in the motorcycle industry to clean fuel tanks of rust and scale. Rinse with water and dry with air.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you have downloaded the manual you should have all that you need to know in it.:thumbsup: