Putting Tubes in tubeless lawn tractor tires

blue06van

Threads
Putting Tubes in tubeless lawn tractor tires, has anyone done this to help with flats?

I got 2 tires one front and one rear, I have tried fixing and have taken to tire place to have fixed and still leak.

I reckon I am looking for if anyone has done it and where you could get tubes at?

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Putting Tubes in tubeless lawn tractor tires, has anyone done this to help with flats?

I got 2 tires one front and one rear, I have tried fixing and have taken to tire place to have fixed and still leak.

I reckon I am looking for if anyone has done it and where you could get tubes at?
That's real common during mowing season and I would expect done on a daily basis.

I order my tubes from the local farmer's CO-OP but they can be purchased at most any establishment that looks like they would have something like that. Farm stores, NAPA Auto etc.

blue06van

Threads
Great Thank You

How do you figure out what size you need for the tire?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
This is a common practice for repair shops. It is used most often when the tire is good, but you can't get the bead to seal properly to the rim. As SandBur said, you should be able to get them at a wide variety of places. Go by the size of the tire.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Great Thank You

How do you figure out what size you need for the tire?

You give the place of where you are buying the tube your tire size and they should be able to know what you need. One size tube will fit differant sizes of tires.

Threads
If something goes thruogh its more trouble to pull the tube out to patch it though. I tried the same thing, and in the long run I just went, and bought some new tires from mgrassroots.com. I have bought several sets from him, and he has add matched any price so far. The first time you get a hole in the tire, and tube its a pita to have to brake the tire down, and pull the tube out.

Bob E

Threads
Tubes are pretty expensive now-uh-days. I know it has been a few years since I bought an inner tube, but I know they were less than $5 each then. Now they are around $20 a piece. That's almost half the price of a new tire pre mounted on a new rim. :confused2:
Make sure to clean up any sharp areas inside the tire and rim so they can't poke a hole in your new tube. One of those valve stem tools only costs a couple of bucks and is pretty handy. And be careful not to poke or pinch the tube when you are trying to get the tire back over the rim.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
`The first thing to do is find the leak. I find my tire leaks by putting the tire and wheel into a tub of water with about 20 psi of air. Then go from there?
Hole in tire thread I patch it, around valve stem replace stem. tire bead leaks, clean wheel with wire brush and install tire bead sealer on tire bead., if the wheel itself leaks then I install a inner tube or hole in the side wall of the tire a inner tube. This is the way I repair tires in my shop and as a rule have good luck.

Threads
Tubes are pretty expensive now-uh-days. I know it has been a few years since I bought an inner tube, but I know they were less than $5 each then. Now they are around $20 a piece. That's almost half the price of a new tire pre mounted on a new rim. :confused2:
Make sure to clean up any sharp areas inside the tire and rim so they can't poke a hole in your new tube. One of those valve stem tools only costs a couple of bucks and is pretty handy. And be careful not to poke or pinch the tube when you are trying to get the tire back over the rim.

Yep I noticed the price increase too they have went up quite a bit. I bought one last year for a guy, and for the 20x10x8 in my area was $23 plus tax. They used to be like $12.

slumlord

Threads
`The first thing to do is find the leak. I find my tire leaks by putting the tire and wheel into a tub of water with about 20 psi of air. Then go from there?
Hole in tire thread I patch it, around valve stem replace stem. tire bead leaks, clean wheel with wire brush and install tire bead sealer on tire bead., if the wheel itself leaks then I install a inner tube or hole in the side wall of the tire a inner tube. This is the way I repair tires in my shop and as a rule have good luck.

Absolutely correct. You can get tire bead sealer at an auto supply like NAPA.
Make up a solution of dish soap 1 part to 3 or 4 parts of water and brush it around the rims. With the tire under pressure, the bubbles will appear,but not right away. Give it some time and air it up a little strong to 15 or 20 PSI and the leaks will show up.
With all the aluminum wheels [just give me steel,please] on autos these days,sealing a tire with bead sealer is a skill worth learning.