Putting Tubes in tubeless lawn tractor tires

Blaine B.

Threads
I just had the shop put some tubes in the tires for my father's Storm 2410 blower.

One of the tires would not hold air.

graydog

Threads
I have one of those hand cleaner dispensers like in store rest rooms. The liquid soap used in the dispenser is the best thing I have found to make mounting and dismounting tires easier. I think Goop hand cleaner would work good.

I put tubes in all 4 of my ZTR's tires. I found them on eBay.

Flintmotorsports

Threads
one good thing about tubing a tire is that it will make the tire last longer then if you just put a new tire on every time on goes
flat In my shop we put bout 10-20 tube in people tire in the summers season so it is a very common thing to do to most outdoor
power equipment

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm a fan of foaming it'll get you the most out of your tire sure might give you whiplash but ehh

graydog

Threads
....................... I just finished mounting a tubeless Carlisle 20X10-8 for which I paid nearly $70 and which arrived in such a malformed condition that I couldn't set the bead myself. I had to take it 20 miles into town where the repairman had to use a "bead blaster" to make it happen...................

I found "Bead Blasters" $300.00 price was too high for me, so I made one from an old Freon tank, a 2" ball valve and a little MIG welding.

1) Hook up air line to valve stem of tubeless tire to keep bead seated once you blast it.
2) Stick flat end of 2" pipe between wheel and tire and blast it.

It works great. I pressure tested it to 200 psi and do not fill it to over 100 psi when I use it. I have tried may methods of seating a tire bead, but nothing else has ever worked this good.

CAUTION:
1) Don't try welding on a pressure tank unless you are somewhat of an expert welder.
2) Do not point nozzle towards anyone. The noise is deafening to anyone close to the end when discharged.

Click photo to enlarge.

Attachments

• BeadBlaster .jpg
    BeadBlaster .jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 18

QuiGonJohn

Forum Newbie
Threads
Harbor Freight has a tube that is 18 x 8.5.

The tire on my mower (Craftsman KT2000), I am having an issue with shows 18 x 9.5.

Would I be able to use this tube on this tire to go from Tubeless to Tube. It has a hole in the sidewall that I cannot seal. Had a plug, I removed tire and put on a patch, that didn't hold. Then I inserted a new plug, that is not holding either.

Thanks,
John

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
If it is the tube i looked up the description shows a 18 x 8.50/9.50-8 so it will also fit the 9.5 width tires.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It will be a bitch to stretch over the rim but apart from that it will be fine.
The thing to watch is the valve does not pull back through the valve hole.
Tubeless rims have their valves around 1/3 the way up the side and tubes usually have the valve on the centre line
This means that the tube will be twisted sideways and will try to pull back into the tyre as it gets inflated till the pressure pushes it out.
Thus it is a good idea to slip a nut on the valve before you inflate the tyre.

Rdr202

Forum Newbie
Threads
It will be a bitch to stretch over the rim but apart from that it will be fine.
The thing to watch is the valve does not pull back through the valve hole.
Tubeless rims have their valves around 1/3 the way up the side and tubes usually have the valve on the centre line
This means that the tube will be twisted sideways and will try to pull back into the tyre as it gets inflated till the pressure pushes it out.
Thus it is a good idea to slip a nut on the valve before you inflate the tyre.

I use a 4-way valve stem tool when installing a tube in my tires. I slip tube in tire push stem through hole then attach the stem tool.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
For anyone that doesn't have a valve stem retaining tool handy in his tool arsenal, there is a good quick inexpensive way to make one. It doesn't matter if the stem goes back inside because it can usually be retrieved.