Mulching Leaves

Threads
Hey ya'll. I heard from a friend that when leaves are mulched up and left on the grass it isn't good since it blocks the soil from receiving rain / moisture. Any info about this would be awesome thanks!!

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hey ya'll. I heard from a friend that when leaves are mulched up and left on the grass it isn't good since it blocks the soil from receiving rain / moisture. Any info about this would be awesome thanks!!

I think your friend a has things flipped around mulched leaves are very good for your lawn.

Every fall I wait for them all to drop then aerate and seed. The leaves help keep the ground wet.

One of the reasons trees drop there leaves is to fertilize the soil and to protect the ground from the cold weather. Guess that is two reasons.

But if you leave a pile of leaves on your lawn your grass turns yellow from no sun light.

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would not call him a friend with that advice. If it were true, then 99% of the lawns in my neighborhood would be dead. Almost everyone of us mulch. Is he in the lawn seed business?

Threads
I would not call him a friend with that advice. If it were true, then 99% of the lawns in my neighborhood would be dead. Almost everyone of us mulch. Is he in the lawn seed business?

LOL :smile: he is my friend he has a setvice. When he said that I just thought "that doesnt sound right!" Anyway he means well I guess. :laughing:

possum

Threads
Depends on what kind of tree to some extent. Depends on just how deep these leaves are when mulched as well. Also how much shade the grass is in. How new the grass is or how well established. I mulch some, shatter up and then pick up some, rake some. Leaves several inches deep do not mulch to well. Leaves several inches deep that get heavy wet snow on will mat down and kill grass and cannot be mulched worth a darn. Small sharp leaves just do not mulch at all in clumpy K31 grass as they embed themselves into the bottom of the clumps and then smother the fine fescue leaveing you with nothing but grass clumps after a few years. The same tree that provides those leaves here have long flexible stems that seperate and will weave themselves into bermuda grass so thick the grass suffers in the spring and the only way to get them out is mow the fall bermuda down to the ground or rake them up. The same tree provides seed pods a foot long to a few inches long and distributes them over a hundred feet around the tree often times several inches deep. These pods left in place will kill everything under them by spring and mulching them is pretty much impossible. The only person that can tell if mulching leaves is correct for the time and place is the person taking care of the leaves.

Magic Cuts

Threads
YouTube got some great videos talking about this subject. Mulching up leaves are good fertilizer.

Threads

Its natures way of adding stuff back to the soil I always leave them after mulching them up.

X-man

Threads
Leaves are very good for your lawn. It acts as a fertilizer which obviously helps your grass grow.

That's why I never rake my leaves in the fall.