Straight shaft or curved shaft trimmer. If you could only own one, which would it be?

Straight or Curved Shaft Trimmer ?

• Total voters

midnite rider

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Straight shaft or curved shaft trimmer. If you could only own one, which would it be?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / Straight shaft or curved shaft trimmer. If you could only own one, which would it be?
I like a curved shaft because the head spins clockwise and MOST straight shafts spin counterclockwise.

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

MowerMike

Threads
I like a curved shaft because the head spins clockwise and MOST straight shafts spin counterclockwise.

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

Why is that ? Would you have to move right to left instead of left to right, or does it not matter ?

Threads
Would you have to move right to left instead of left to right, or does it not matter ?

It depends if you want the grass to shoot away from you or towards you!

MowerMike

Threads
Straight shaft trimmer. I have used both and like the straight shaft because it has better reach, and for a 6-foot-tall person like me it fits me better.
View attachment 12604

I'm only 5'-3", so maybe curved is better for my height. Also, I have very few places where I need to reach very far.

Threads
I'm only 5'-3", so maybe curved is better for my height. Also, I have very few places where I need to reach very far.

Yeah. I mow some yards that have swingsets and I don't think you would be able to get under the slide with a curved shaft trimmer.....sometimes I have trouble with my straight shaft trimmer!

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

I really don't think height has a lot to do with using either the straight or curved shaft trimmers. I think it basically comes down to what you're more comfortable with and how much money you want to spend. People who tend to use the curve shaft trimmers like (Homelite, weedeater, poulan etc.) are homeowners because they are inexpensive and will not be used but maybe a couple of times a month and for them when they go bad are easily replaceable. The commercial guys who buy (Stihl, Echo, Shin, etc.) spend more money and buy straight shaft and all have different reasons as to why.

Last edited:

MowerMike

Threads
I really don't think height has a lot to do with using either the straight or curved shaft trimmers. I think it basically comes down to what you're more comfortable with and how much money you want to spend.

If that is so, then why does Stihl state that the FS 50 C-E has an " 8" longer shaft than FS 40 C-E trimmer ideal for taller users " ?

As to money, it doesn't matter to me. If I was trying to pinch pennies, I'd be buying a junk brand like Homelite or Weed Eater anyway.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
If that is so, then why does Stihl state that the FS 50 C-E has an " 8" longer shaft than FS 40 C-E trimmer ideal for taller users " ?

As to money, it doesn't matter to me. If I was trying to pinch pennies, I'd be buying a junk brand like Homelite or Weed Eater anyway.

I didn't say they didn't make a trimmer for taller people. I said I really don't think height has a lot to do with using either the straight or curved shaft trimmers. I think it basically comes down to what you're more comfortable using, to be clear I was referring to the type that someone would use, not the length. I do agree with you on the money and the brand part though.

BHLC

Threads
Straight shaft all the way, longer reach, more comfortable body position, easier on the machine. I love my Kawasaki's!!

Attachments

• image-2681470614.jpg
    image-2681470614.jpg
    421.6 KB · Views: 16