can't put tractor on new trailer

mowerguy

Threads
I just leave the trailer hooked up to my truck. All it does is raises the back end of the truck and lowers the rear end of the trailer. Drive the mower up the trailer and then jack the trailer back down and off you go. Pretty simple. Just make sure the trailer is latched to the ball or you will be kickin yourself.

CauZey

Threads
Idk if somebody said it already or not but mine did that and I tried backin it on the trailer and it worked fine but it would not drive on forward.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Mower season will be coming soon so the repairs will start coming.
Like I said I am loading a lot of different makes and models. I have tryed backing on and going on forward but some times it just hits and the mower hangs up.
The next time I load one that hits I am going to try to leave it hooked to the car, raise the trailer and car together and try it that way thanks for the idea.

metz12

Threads
a guy i work for has that problem. he runs a craftsman and a cub cadet. he is able to back up the trailer and it works with both tractors. he also carries a 4x4 like the other guys in the thread just in case.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I just leave the trailer hooked up to my truck. All it does is raises the back end of the truck and lowers the rear end of the trailer. Drive the mower up the trailer and then jack the trailer back down and off you go. Pretty simple. Just make sure the trailer is latched to the ball or you will be kickin yourself.

Just asking but I don't know if that's such a good Idea. I'm not sure if the latch and ball clamp in the coupler can take that much lifting pressure.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just asking but I don't know if that's such a good Idea. I'm not sure if the latch and ball clamp in the coupler can take that much lifting pressure.

Yah I have to use a 3 in drop hitch and I lifted the trailer with truck hooked up and I bent the reciver I fixed it but yah

mowerguy

Threads
I've always had that fear but yet to have any problems. I've done it with numerous riders and zero turns. I guess when I put the tongue through my tail gate I'll find another way. A guy I work for actually showed me this method. He has a few race cars and uses a small trailer to move them from his house to the shop. They sit low the way it is and it has worked fine for him all this time. Not saying something couldn't happen, just haven't seen it yet.

jymie

Threads
Now that sounds like a good idea raising the front of the trailer but also a lot of work. I would have to first disconnect the trailer from the vehicle, jack up the front of the trailer, then install stands or jacks under the rear of the trailer so when I put all the weight on the back I don't have the front of the trailer fly up. I am also thinking of buying a cheap ATV wintch and mounting it in my trailer somehow to pull mowers that not runing onto the trailer.

Why not just use the jack that raises the front of the trailer without unattaching it, I'm sure you could get a few inches that way, don't unhook, thats dangerous.

boston

Threads
I tried the wood at the bottom of the ramp and it didn't work because the tractor couldn't get up the ramp. Not because of the wood but it was still too steep for the deck to clear it. I tried backing it on and forward.

midnite rider

Lawn Addict
Threads
I tried the wood at the bottom of the ramp and it didn't work because the tractor couldn't get up the ramp. Not because of the wood but it was still too steep for the deck to clear it. I tried backing it on and forward.

Is your trailers floor level when it is attached to your tow vehicle hitch. If not you will need to get the proper lift or drop for your drawbar ball mount so that the trailer sits level. This will also help in the handling characteristics of your trailer though not as much as proper weight distribution on your trailer. Mount the ball to one side of the drawbar for lift or flip it and mount the ball for drop. They also make a drawbar that you can mount the ball level with the receiver. If your equipment still will not clear the pivot point of your ramp once it is level you will either need to extend the ramp or back up to where the ramp will sit on ground that is uphill in relation to the level trailer. If you are loading really heavy equipment such as a large tractor etc, you should have the front wheels of the tow vehicle chocked and jack stands or comparable support under the back end of the trailer to keep from picking the back wheels of the tow vehicle off the ground. If not you can create a condition I call trailer surfing. I have seen it happen and it is not a pretty sight.