Big Box Store or Local Dealer

Big Box or Dealer

• Total voters

ramaglia375

Forum Newbie
Threads
OK since you work at a BB store I have a question for you: Are the mowers you buy at a BB store different in anyway than the ones you buy at a dealer? Some people say they ARE different, but others say there is no difference. :confused2:

The box store that I work for is in the sporting goods market. A lot of the products are the same as the competitors while others are "dealer exclusives". That being said, when it comes to support for the items sold, the store is unable to provide that support. Unless its a straight up return or exchange (which exchanges may not be available on certain items) it must go back to the manufacturer for service. The store has neither the means nor the qualified personal to carry out any servicing, repairs, etc.

As for mowers offered by the box stores vs dealers simply compare model numbers and / or specifications. For the most part it appears that models are the same with the dealer carry more of the model line and of course offering a post sale servicing.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
The box store that I work for is in the sporting goods market. A lot of the products are the same as the competitors while others are "dealer exclusives". That being said, when it comes to support for the items sold, the store is unable to provide that support. Unless its a straight up return or exchange (which exchanges may not be available on certain items) it must go back to the manufacturer for service. The store has neither the means nor the qualified personal to carry out any servicing, repairs, etc.

As for mowers offered by the box stores vs dealers simply compare model numbers and / or specifications. For the most part it appears that models are the same with the dealer carry more of the model line and of course offering a post sale servicing.

ramaglia375,
I think you(and others) have answered your question with an overwhelming number of reasons why buying from a dealer is better:
1)Models available to choose from.
2)Warranty service after the sale.
3)Service/repairs after the Warranty expires by a recommended manufacturer repair facility.
4)I've not seen a big box store yet(except clearance models in the fall to deplete inventory on hand) that can/will "negotiate" the purchase price. Dealers are just like a car dealer(they mark up their cost pretty significantly or ask the Mfr's MSRP). When I bought my 2012 Gravely Pro-Turn XDZ152 last fall, just before the 2013 models came out, I offered the dealer ~ $1,300 out-the-door below the MSRP for the 2013(same exact model-plus taxes). He accepted my counter-offer without even hesitating. Try that at Home Depot:0(

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I like this image that talks about buying from BB Stores: View attachment 13508

lmf,
Yep that made me thhink of something I didn't mention earlier......"Dealer Prep". After my purchase of my Gravely, before I picked it up, the dealer's mechanic went over it with a fine tooth comb. They torqued every bolt to specs(there were little white crayon X's at every assembly point they checked) leveled the deck, topped up the hydraulic fluid in the HydroGear trannies and of course installed the "break-in" oil and checked the engine and wiring. You just don't get ANY of that from a big box store. You're probably lucky if the guy that "assembled it"(if you buy one on display) knew what he was doing:0(

Threads
lmf,
Yep that made me thhink of something I didn't mention earlier......"Dealer Prep". After my purchase of my Gravely, before I picked it up, the dealer's mechanic went over it with a fine tooth comb. They torqued every bolt to specs(there were little white crayon X's at every assembly point they checked) leveled the deck, topped up the hydraulic fluid in the HydroGear trannies and of course installed the "break-in" oil and checked the engine and wiring. You just don't get ANY of that from a big box store. You're probably lucky if the guy that "assembled it"(if you buy one on display) knew what he was doing:0(

Yeah that's a good point!

MowerMike

Threads
It depends on what I'm buying. Most of my tools and outdoor power equipment is electric, which requires no setup, maintenance or repair. It's relatively cheap and when it breaks you just get it replaced. Also, it is mostly sold either through big box or online webstores. I've bought a lot of equipment from eBay sellers or Amazon.

Gas powered tools I prefer to buy from a local brick and mortar store. If there's a proper dealer nearby, I'll buy it there; otherwise I'll buy it wherever I can find it. Price is rarely an issue, since quality brands like Echo are rarely discounted at big box stores or the discounts are small. I'm not that concerned about service or warranty with my gas powered tools, since they are all very simple and low cost. The most I've paid is about $320 including tax for a gas push mower with a reliable Honda engine that is easy to maintain and unlikely to break for many years. Assembly is either very simple, like assembling blower tubes, or none at all. I just cut down the box on the mower, raised the handlebar with no tools, poured in the supplied pre-measured bottle of motor oil, gassed it up and it was good to go. The Echo SRM-225 trimmer and PE-225 edger came fully assembled off the rack. I bought the edger from Home Depot and the trimmer from a full service dealer. The only difference was that the dealer put some premix in it and tested it out for me and Home Depot did not.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
It depends on what I'm buying. Most of my tools and outdoor power equipment is electric, which requires no setup, maintenance or repair. It's relatively cheap and when it breaks you just get it replaced. Also, it is mostly sold either through big box or online webstores. I've bought a lot of equipment from eBay sellers or Amazon.

Gas powered tools I prefer to buy from a local brick and mortar store. If there's a proper dealer nearby, I'll buy it there; otherwise I'll buy it wherever I can find it. Price is rarely an issue, since quality brands like Echo are rarely discounted at big box stores or the discounts are small. I'm not that concerned about service or warranty with my gas powered tools, since they are all very simple and low cost. The most I've paid is about $320 including tax for a gas push mower with a reliable Honda engine that is easy to maintain and unlikely to break for many years. Assembly is either very simple, like assembling blower tubes, or none at all. I just cut down the box on the mower, raised the handlebar with no tools, poured in the supplied pre-measured bottle of motor oil, gassed it up and it was good to go. The Echo SRM-225 trimmer and PE-225 edger came fully assembled off the rack. I bought the edger from Home Depot and the trimmer from a full service dealer. The only difference was that the dealer put some premix in it and tested it out for me and Home Depot did not.

MowerMike,
I can't argue with that philosophy. I'm not saying that big box retailer sell "junk". For a lot of things like small lawn & garden equipment(string trimmer, etc.) for a homeowner(especially if you have a small budget allotment for what you need) retailers are a very viable option. It's just when you get into the "expensive" equipment like Zero Turn Mowers(several thousand dollars) that you need to check with local dealers for all the reasons mentioned. Home Depot sold Ariens Zero Turn mowers last fall when I was looking but ONLY the entry level models. I just couldn't justify buying one of theirs when I could buy an Arien's "big brother"(the Gravely) at a dealer for a little more money(but Commercial quality).

MowerMike

Threads
MowerMike,
I can't argue with that philosophy. I'm not saying that big box retailer sell "junk". For a lot of things like small lawn & garden equipment(string trimmer, etc.) for a homeowner(especially if you have a small budget allotment for what you need) retailers are a very viable option. It's just when you get into the "expensive" equipment like Zero Turn Mowers(several thousand dollars) that you need to check with local dealers for all the reasons mentioned. Home Depot sold Ariens Zero Turn mowers last fall when I was looking but ONLY the entry level models. I just couldn't justify buying one of theirs when I could buy an Arien's "big brother"(the Gravely) at a dealer for a little more money(but Commercial quality).

No argument with you either. The most I've ever paid for any one tool is $399 + tax for a Greenworks Li-Ion battery powered mower, which was available only through Lowe's and a Generac gas pressure washer, which I bought through Wal-Mart online with free shipment directly to my home. If I were to buy something like you said, which costs thousands of dollars and is complicated to setup and maintain, then for certain I would buy it through a competent full-service dealer. Still, like I said, if there's a dealer nearby that sells the same item as a big box, then I'll still patronize the dealer, even if the price is slightly higher.

MowerMike

Threads
No argument with you either. The most I've ever paid for any one tool is $399 + tax for a Greenworks Li-Ion battery powered mower, which was available only through Lowe's and a Generac gas pressure washer, which I bought through Wal-Mart online with free shipment directly to my home. If I were to buy something like you said, which costs thousands of dollars and is complicated to setup and maintain, then for certain I would buy it through a competent full-service dealer. Still, like I said, if there's a dealer nearby that sells the same item as a big box, then I'll still patronize the dealer, even if the price is slightly higher.

Also, big boxes sell both junk and quality. Home Depot sells Yard Machines (MTD) lawn mowers, which are definitely junk, but they also sell Honda mowers, which are not junk. They sell Homelite blowers and trimmers with junky half crank engines, but they also sell Echo with quality full crank engines and short blocks made in Japan that are definitely not junk.

Last edited:

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Also, big boxes sell both junk and quality. Home Depot sells Yard machines (MTD) lawn mowers, which are definitely junk, but they also sell Honda mowers, which are not junk. They sell Homelite blowers and trimmers with junky half crank engines, but they also sell Echo with quality full crank engines and short blocks made in Japan that are definitely not junk.

Yeah, if you're gonna buy at a big box you need to do a little research first before making the purchase to sort out the wheat from the chaff!