Cub Cadet 15hp Kohler Command

inspectorted

Forum Newbie
Threads
My Father and I both bought these Cub Cadets from tractor supply 8 years ago. I bought the one with the 15 hp and his is the 17hp . Both the Kohler Command engines. Both around 350 hours on them and with the oil changed according to the manual both engines are shot. Now I cant seem to find the kohler replacement engine for these mowers. I would prefer Briggs and Stratton. Is there a Briggs engine that would work on the Cub Cadet 1515 mower?

NCTSMALLENGINEREPAIR

Forum Newbie
Threads
Need the Model number of the engine but yes Briggs has a 21 hp that will go on it but you will need a rewire kit to do it

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
My Father and I both bought these Cub Cadets from tractor supply 8 years ago. I bought the one with the 15 hp and his is the 17hp . Both the Kohler Command engines. Both around 350 hours on them and with the oil changed according to the manual both engines are shot. Now I cant seem to find the kohler replacement engine for these mowers. I would prefer Briggs and Stratton. Is there a Briggs engine that would work on the Cub Cadet 1515 mower?

Inspector. what is "shot" on each. I am interested if they had high temp cutout kits on them. Please be specific if head related failures. thanks motoman:smile::smile:

inspectorted

Forum Newbie
Threads
Inspector. what is "shot" on each. I am interested if they had high temp cutout kits on them. Please be specific if head related failures. thanks motoman:smile::smile:
I pulled the head off and was able to move the piston back and forth on the cylinder walls a strong 1/16" of an inch. Took the engine to a mechanic and he said it wasn't worth fixing. I just us the term shot as it is in not worth fixing. Or at least that's what the professionals are saying.

NCTSMALLENGINEREPAIR

Forum Newbie
Threads
You have two options for Briggs the 31C707 engine which is rated at 17.5 hp or the 331877 engine rated at 21hp.

inspectorted

Forum Newbie
Threads
You have two options for Briggs the 31C707 engine which is rated at 17.5 hp or the 331877 engine rated at 21hp.
I was trying to find shaft length and diameter on the kohler online, but apparently I will have to drop the PTO to find that out. Does the shaft on the Briggs 31C707 engine have the same shaft size as the Kohler?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Easiest way to find which Briggs engine you can use is go to your Briggs dealer with you model and spec numbers and have him look up the appropriate engine for you. That way if you somehow get the wrong engine, you have some recourse through the dealer. They will also help you out with rewiring.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I pulled the head off and was able to move the piston back and forth on the cylinder walls a strong 1/16" of an inch. Took the engine to a mechanic and he said it wasn't worth fixing. I just us the term shot as it is in not worth fixing. Or at least that's what the professionals are saying.

Inspector, ok thanks, but how did your dad's fail? motoman

NCTSMALLENGINEREPAIR

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was trying to find shaft length and diameter on the kohler online, but apparently I will have to drop the PTO to find that out. Does the shaft on the Briggs 31C707 engine have the same shaft size as the Kohler?

For that I would need the spec number of the Kohler.