Buying Advice Kubota Kommander

vg92

Forum Newbie
Threads
@vg92 - My dealer said the last recall was related to the parking brake. That was the only safety campaign work that had to be done to my 123S, that I picked up yesterday. There was another related to a spring, according to my dealer.

Thanks MiKubota and congrats to your new mower! I will call the manufacturer tomorrow to determine which recalls still apply to mine.

toltingcoltacres

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought a ZG124E last week. It is awesome. Everyone who drives by gives me a thumbs up and tells me what an impressive-looking machine it is.

Unfortunately, I've yet to cut a blade of grass with it.

Dealer delivered it off the truck Friday at 1pm, girlfriend took delivery, Dealer drove it off trailer into garage. I got home at 4pm, attempted to start it, and starter just spun, never engaged the flywheel on the motor.

Dealer came today while I was out running errands to service unit. Replaced Starter, 0.4 hours. Briggs n Stratton. Should have known better. Kicking myself in the ***, but I gotta live with it now. Left me a note unit was ready to go.

Unit now starts. But, I can't get the deck to lower. Press the pedal in all the way, adjust height, release pedal... deck returns to original (not lowered) height... as if there's some type of lock or interlock in place preventing it from lowering.

Assumed there is a shipping setting to keep the deck from lowering and getting damaged.. Looked in manual, can't find anything. Can't see anything underneath either preventing the deck from lowering.

Tomorrow I guess I'll pull the deck off and check the linkage to see what I'm missing. Otherwise, it'll be another call to the dealer Tuesday, since its now a holiday weekend and I won't be mowing.

Bought this to replace a 15 year old Craftsman garden tractor that was requiring service every year.

Not impressed.

Duckman

Threads
I'm thinking you got the lift assist.... That thing has to be adjusted properly, that is a dealer thing. Happen to me too, they re-adjusted it and got better as it got broke in.

That ring you see on the cylinder, moving it a little goes along way. If it was me I'd be disappointed too.

toltingcoltacres

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm thinking you got the lift assist.... That thing has to be adjusted properly, that is a dealer thing. Happen to me too, they re-adjusted it and got better as it got broke in.

That ring you see on the cylinder, moving it a little goes along way. If it was me I'd be disappointed too.

The model I have does include the lift assist. I don't see an adjustable ring on the silver cylinder, though.

The deck acts as if it's being manually held up by a pin or lock of some sort. Only thing I can do tomorrow is to drop the deck by hand by pulling the 4 pins, and then look up underneath to see if I can figure out what's preventing it from coming down.

Googled around, I see the lift assist is a kit with an instruction sheet... No instructions about it in my packet from the dealer, though.

Duckman

Threads
This is what mine looks like....that wide band you see is what you have to loosen and that piston needs to be moved. I am not sure which way you need to go, but a little goes a long way. You can see on the cylinder were they slid it.

I don't have a scanner here at home or I'd email you my directions.

You may not like this suggestion, but if you want to lower your deck...slam, yes I said slam your foot down, I bet that will releases it.

HTH's

Attachments

• IMG_0283.jpg
    IMG_0283.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0286.jpg
    IMG_0286.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 50

toltingcoltacres

Forum Newbie
Threads
You may not like this suggestion, but if you want to lower your deck...slam, yes I said slam your foot down, I bet that will releases it.

Oddly enough, yesterday, that's exactly what I ended up doing to get it to release.

I'll take a picture later with my iPhone when I head out to the barn, but my lift assist piston has no band like yours does.

The Alchemist

Threads
If I'm understanding you correctly, you're pushing down on the peddle and trying to adjust the height. You need to put the deck in the locked up position, set the height to less than 4", try 3" to start, then push all the way down on the peddle, then release. It should go down for you.

I'm at 30+ hours on mine, and I love it. My father in law loved it as well, and he decided to get rid of his cheapo zero turn craftsman and buy a ZG125S and loves his as well.

I've had absolutely zero issues with mine and love it. I wish there was a striping kit for it, but I'll just have to figure out something and fabricate it myself.

Greg246

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the Kubota zg123s. That's the 48" deck. I paid an extra $500 for Kohler 23hp instead of the Briggs. It's quick and powerful. Good seat and the lights are nice. 47 hrs. I've had a couple of problems. At 30 hrs the starter locked up. The dealer fixed it immediately, good to go. The one true flaw that I have found is in the design of the front wheel assemblies. I run the front wheel in a hole while mowing at a fast speed. Wheel and fork broke off. Maybe 3/4" diameter steel pin. The pin is welded to the fork at the very bottom only. Needs two welds. Checked with dealer about coverage, he's checking on it for me and two other people. The drive pulleys underneath the motor could use a guard of some sort. I backed into a tree limb and damaged the blade belt. $123. Checking on coverage. Mine works hard every weekend, I think that it's at the top for that level mower along with hustler. The deck mounts and system seem to be more rugged than other brands and I think a more level cut. That's all I got..

I have had the same problem with the wheel and fork breaking off. It first happened 2 months after purchase of the mower. I have had mower for a year and a half now and this has reoccurring problem. Both left and right wheel have broken off and currently the mower is at the dealer yet again because the left wheel has broken off for the second time. Dealer said they have had three others with this same problem. Also had the drive belt come off and was wedged in between the hydrostatic control. And have had the recall fixed. Always have been happy with kubota since I have had several of their commercial mowers and tractors but not happy with this one.

bud29376

Forum Newbie
Threads
I also work for a Kubota dealer and would echo what KubotaJohn says. The upgraded warranty has impressed our customers so much, that we have sold two with two feet of snow on the ground.

Could you tell me what Kohler engine originally came on the 2013 ZG127 zero turn mower. Was it the commander series engine or something else?

Thank you

bue29376

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The 2013 units came in to models. ZG127E was power by a Briggs and Stratton Pro engine and the ZG127S was powered by a Kohler Courage Pro engine.