Bought a new Honda!

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Picked it up from the home depot (yes I know no dealer) but I got a hrr216vka for $300 couldnt pass it up. I have an old honda mower with a blown engine that has a blade clutch and a throttle control on it, I was wondering how diffucult it would be to put the throttle and blade clutch on the new one.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Was fiddling with it today found out the new mower shaft is quite larger than the old one so looks like a No go on the blade clutch. The throttle control I am still thinking about is there any advantage to having a throttle control with no blade clutch? I was thinking I could keep it running the entire time I am mowing and just super low rpm while I am emptying bag. Duno yet

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
I assume the new model will be auto choke so there is no control for the cable to fit onto.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
I assume the new model will be auto choke so there is no control for the cable to fit onto.

The old throttle control hooks up the same and controls the govenor the same. I would use the old carb to

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Picked it up from the home depot (yes I know no dealer) but I got a hrr216vka for $300 couldnt pass it up. I have an old honda mower with a blown engine that has a blade clutch and a throttle control on it, I was wondering how diffucult it would be to put the throttle and blade clutch on the new one.

The VKA has a fixed-throttle and automatic choke; in theory, you could replace the those parts with a manual throttle and choke, but unless your old mower is also an HRR-series unit, it's unlikely they would fit.

Sames goes for the Roto-Stop (blade clutch). Unless it is off another HRR-series model, it won't fit. I'll guess your older Honda with a blade clutch was an HR or HRC model maybe? Totally different engine/crankshaft/etc. from the newer HRR models.

If your old mower has a GXV engine, it has a cast-iron sleeve and can be rebuilt. Parts are usually available, and lots of people would pay a fair price for a strong-running older Honda. How bad is the old engine? Are we talking big gaping hole in the engine block or just worn rings/smoking a bit?

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
The VKA has a fixed-throttle and automatic choke; in theory, you could replace the those parts with a manual throttle and choke, but unless your old mower is also an HRR-series unit, it's unlikely they would fit.

Sames goes for the Roto-Stop (blade clutch). Unless it is off another HRR-series model, it won't fit. I'll guess your older Honda with a blade clutch was an HR or HRC model maybe? Totally different engine/crankshaft/etc. from the newer HRR models.

If your old mower has a GXV engine, it has a cast-iron sleeve and can be rebuilt. Parts are usually available, and lots of people would pay a fair price for a strong-running older Honda. How bad is the old engine? Are we talking big gaping hole in the engine block or just worn rings/smoking a bit?

Well the guy who gave it to me bought it new bent the crankshaft 2 weeks after purchace never had it fixed ran it for 5 years untill the block cracked 3 of 4 engine bolts were doing nothing the deck around them was broke off 3 of the wheels were bent and or broken at the deck the blade clutch was disconnected the throttle was broken the deck was just shot oh ya the blade was badly bent

MowerMike

Threads
That's a great deal ! My local HD is selling the old models for $399.

Leaving a mower blade turning, even on low throttle, while you are removing the bag is dangerous IMO. Those Honda engines are so easy to restart when warm that I don't think twice about shutting it off when removing the bag or stopping to remove junk from the mowing path. And I'm a little old man, so a youngster like you should have no problem.

Threads
That's a great deal ! My local HD is selling the old models for $399.

Leaving a mower blade turning, even on low throttle, while you are removing the bag is dangerous IMO. Those Honda engines are so easy to restart when warm that I don't think twice about shutting it off when removing the bag or stopping to remove junk from the mowing path. And I'm a little old man, so a youngster like you should have no problem.

I agree with MowerMike.....I think that would be dangerous! :eek:

STAN MI

Forum Newbie
Threads

I just got the same deal, and thats why I joined this forum.

Now I can't wait for it to warm up. Just got 5" of Snow today so it's going to be a while !!!

Threads
I just got the same deal, and thats why I joined this forum.

Now I can't wait for it to warm up. Just got 5" of Snow today so it's going to be a while !!!

:welcome: Let us know how you like the mower.....I sure can't wait to start mowing, either! :thumbsup: