Question about pto engagement

jakesmurray

Threads
I have a quick question about how to use my pto. I have heard the when you engage the pto, you should have the engine at a low rpm rate. Once the blades are engaged, you throttle up to full throttle. Apparently this extends the life of the belt. Is this true? On my old mower, I always just engaged it with the engine at full throttle. Now that I have a new tractor, I want to do it right.
Let me know what you think.
Thanks

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
The principle of inertia is going to apply to your mower just as it will to all other things...
Not just your belts but the spindles clutch and everything else in the drive line... You can beat them hard and see how long before you are replacing parts or treat them like you want them to last forever ... all parts will be consumed with use, You can control how fast they are consumed.... :smile:KennyV

jakesmurray

Threads
The principle of inertia is going to apply to your mower just as it will to all other things...
Not just your belts but the spindles clutch and everything else in the drive line... You can beat them hard and see how long before you are replacing parts or treat them like you want them to last forever ... all parts will be consumed with use, You can control how fast they are consumed.... :smile:KennyV

So it sounds like you should do it- it will prolong the parts life...

scott47429

Threads
i have a Exmark ZTR Lazer XP and it says right on it to engage the blades at half throttle

jakesmurray

Threads
Ok, I think I will engage at a low rpm.
Thanks guys for the responses

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have a quick question about how to use my pto. I have heard the when you engage the pto, you should have the engine at a low rpm rate. Once the blades are engaged, you throttle up to full throttle. Apparently this extends the life of the belt. Is this true? On my old mower, I always just engaged it with the engine at full throttle. Now that I have a new tractor, I want to do it right.
Let me know what you think.
Thanks

My suggestion would be to read your manual that came with the mower for the PTO engagement. Scott says his Exmark ZTR Lazer XP and it says right on it to engage the blades at half throttle, My Toro Grandstand says to engage at Full throttle and so does my Cub Cadet ZTR. Read Your Manual and do what it says, the manufacturer knows Best.

jakesmurray

Threads
My suggestion would be to read your manual that came with the mower for the PTO engagement. Scott says his Exmark ZTR Lazer XP and it says right on it to engage the blades at half throttle, My Toro Grandstand says to engage at Full throttle and so does my Cub Cadet ZTR. Read Your Manual and do what it says, the manufacturer knows Best.

I don't have the manual, but I saw a video on you tube that was for a craftsman rider, and it said to engage at half throttle. I may try to get ahold of a manual for my exact model.

Old Goat

Threads
My new Big Dog ZTR manual says to engage & disengage under half throttle.