Please help identifying this Bolens

bakerg

Lawn Addict
Threads
Can anyone tell me what year this Bolens is from this picture?:confused2: Posting for someone else.:tongue:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Was going to ask if you had a model number but you know to search it.
But nice mower looks to be in very good shape

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
See if this helps

Anyone Got a Rear Engine Rider Owners Manual?
263 × 350 - 32KBmytractorforum.com

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Depending on the engine and deck size, it looks like one of these models. 2028/2136. 2030/2036 2128A/2136A. 2027. Please post deck and engine size and I might be able to find a serial number range.

bakerg

Lawn Addict
Threads
Will see if I can get that info.:thumbsup:
Thanks
Gary

sir_malaki

Forum Newbie
Threads
That could be one of 5 models - 528/628/830/831/1130, made from 1979 to 1985 if I remember right. I have one in my barn, the 831 and use it weekly. The naming scheme is straight forward (mine is 831), 8 hp 30" cut (830 was recoil start, 831 is electric start). These are good little mowers if tuned correctly, powered by 5 to 11 hp Briggs and Stratton with a 5 speed peerless transmission. The 28" and 30" decks (like yours) are a large single blade, which is expensive, and the 34" and 36" are dual blade, cheap but don't cut as nicely. There are a little slow and have a reputation for tough steering but both can be remedied. The input drive pulley on the transmission and be swapped with a smaller one (10" to a 8" if I remember right). The steering is a little more in depth and comes from the garden tractor hacks. The steering spindles have no bearings and just a hole through the tube to squirt oil into. You can install flat plate bearings on the bottom and drill the hole out, thread, and install a grease zerk. They do this with garden tractors to help steer due to extra weight of a snow blower/broom/frail mower/etc. on the front. In this case the extra weight is the driver and a short wheel base. I love mine (after pulley and steering upgrades) and use it to get into tight areas around trees in my small fruit orchard and around other trees in the yard and a very long drive that are trimmed/tall enough to drive under and around. These are great little tractors if taken care of and good for smaller lots and tight spots. I would also recommend adding a higher back seat to make with ride a little more comfy.

Hope this helps,
Rich, a.k.a Sir Malaki