What's the going rate?

AndyMan

Threads
Just wondering whether I'm paying my kids a fair wage when they mow my lawn. It probably ends up around 2-1/2 acres when you piece together the areas that we mow, allowing for landscaping, driveway, shed, gardens, and other things that get in the way of nice easy measurements. I generally pay my son $10 for this job, which he can easily do on half of one weekend day.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just wondering whether I'm paying my kids a fair wage when they mow my lawn. It probably ends up around 2-1/2 acres when you piece together the areas that we mow, allowing for landscaping, driveway, shed, gardens, and other things that get in the way of nice easy measurements. I generally pay my son $10 for this job, which he can easily do on half of one weekend day.

I don't know what the going rate is, but that was always just "part of my chores" expected if I was to collect my allowance this week. Chores finished - fine ---- chores not finished - no allowance. Always fair, just part of learning responsability.

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :thumbsup:

brucesdeere

Threads
My kids get an allowance and their chores are part of that, if they do not fulfill their chores to the capacity I expect, they do it again or forfeit their allowance. Mowing is part of their chores.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sounds fair to me but it's hard to say. I think kids should have to do a good amount of work just... because it needs to be done. Then earn some spending money after that. If he works hard gets good grades and stay out of trouble I would pay him more if he's over 10-12 years old.

lizard

Threads
The going rate is not money........but some 'Lollies' for the Kids......they need to be children, they would be happy with this rather than money........i was a Kid once.:licking:

AndyMan

Threads
My kids get an allowance and their chores are part of that, if they do not fulfill their chores to the capacity I expect, they do it again or forfeit their allowance. Mowing is part of their chores.

We don't pay allowance. There are some (basic) chores that are expected, and some (above and beyond) chores that are paying jobs. So, if you want an income, you can't just do the basics.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads

Even mowing with my 4210, which has a 60 inch deck, it would take me 2 1/2 hours to mow 2 1/2 acreas even with no trees or other obstructions in the way. Do your kids use a pusher type, rider, lawn tractor, etc? TEN BUCKS??? Back in '66 I did our half acre yard with a pusher mower, and usually got paid $2 or $3.

Come on, break out the piggy bank and pay a fair wage. However, if my son was to use my $20,000 tractor to mow my yard, I'd expect HIM to pay me for the honor of using my toy. :laughing:

Mean Machine

Threads
It seems like you two have worked out something you both can live with. I think he can definitely put a value on $10, which is a good thing for him to learn. Maybe once in awhile when he does a really good job add a $2 bonus so he can learn the value of going the extra mile.

Hershey

Threads
I agree that it should just be part of an allowance, providing the boy gets an allowance. If it's strictly a pay thing, and it takes half a day to do, $10 doesn't cut it. I have a very tiny yard and for barely any mowing and basic landscaping, the cheapest I can pay anyone is $15. He's underpaid big time if you seriously require him to do 2 1/2 acres plus all that extra.

Harriet

Threads
If you were to do it yourself instead of having someone else do it, what would you get paid to do it?? A family has to pull together to take care of where they live. I think you are being fair.