Ryobi Lithium Ion Stick Edger and Connexion System

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
@Ric - I've heard the dealer arguments before, and frankly it's not worth it unless you are buying something that is high ticket and requires service that is too complicated for a homeowner to perform. The edger cost me $229, and is unlikely to need any repairs during the warranty period, but even if it did that's not enough money to really worry about. If what you are saying is true, then if you moved to another city far from your purchase dealer, then the dealer in that city would refuse to perform warranty work because you did not make a purchase there. If there were a dealer near my house, then I would have bought it there instead of Home Depot, because the price would be the same since Home Depot does not discount Echo products.

The thing about dealers is they work together so going from one dealer to another isn't really a problem. They work much the same way as car dealers and buy from each other.

MowerMike

Threads
Well, after all this fuss about the failed Ryobi stick edger, today a brand new edger appeared at my door courtesy of Ryobi's Senior Product Manager. Seems that he read the negative review I had posted on the Home Depot website after I returned it to the store for a refund, and sent me an email offering to send me a new unit for free. I'm not sure how he got my email, but I assume that it was from the product registration, since I don't think Home Depot gave it to him. I have to give Ryobi kudos for this attention to customer relations, as I'm sure that most other companies would not have done the same. I charged the battery up and ran the edger for about 5 minutes w/o any problems, so it seems to be ok but time will tell. The stock battery is really tiny, only 33 Wh capacity, which is less than all my other garden tool batteries and only 6 Wh more than the batteries on my Bosch drill/driver. I find it laughable than on the box it says "recommended for up to 2/3 acre." I seriously doubt that it will run for more than 20 minutes on a full charge. Of course, Ryobi does sell a larger 24 volt battery with double the capacity, but that would set me back another $119, which would make the total cost about $40 more than the Echo PE-225 gas edger that I bought. Like the Echo, it does have a variable speed trigger, and 4 separate height adjustments with a small guide wheel at the front that makes it easy to keep a consistent cutting depth. It's definitely not meant for trenching, having far less power than the Echo, but does a crisp job edging. Still, it's a vast improvement over the corded B & D Edge Hog, which only runs at one speed and is a hassle to move around with an electrical cord.

Threads
Well, after all this fuss about the failed Ryobi stick edger, today a brand new edger appeared at my door courtesy of Ryobi's Senior Product Manager. Seems that he read the negative review I had posted on the Home Depot website after I returned it to the store for a refund, and sent me an email offering to send me a new unit for free. I'm not sure how he got my email, but I assume that it was from the product registration, since I don't think Home Depot gave it to him. I have to give Ryobi kudos for this attention to customer relations, as I'm sure that most other companies would not have done the same. I charged the battery up and ran the edger for about 5 minutes w/o any problems, so it seems to be ok but time will tell. The stock battery is really tiny, only 33 Wh capacity, which is less than all my other garden tool batteries and only 6 Wh more than the batteries on my Bosch drill/driver. I find it laughable than on the box it says "recommended for up to 2/3 acre." I seriously doubt that it will run for more than 20 minutes on a full charge. Of course, Ryobi does sell a larger 24 volt battery with double the capacity, but that would set me back another $119, which would make the total cost about $40 more than the Echo PE-225 gas edger that I bought. Like the Echo, it does have a variable speed trigger, and 4 separate height adjustments with a small guide wheel at the front that makes it easy to keep a consistent cutting depth. It's definitely not meant for trenching, having far less power than the Echo, but does a crisp job edging. Still, it's a vast improvement over the corded B & D Edge Hog, which only runs at one speed and is a hassle to move around with an electrical cord.

It sounds like you had a better experience with Ryobi this time around, but as you said....time will tell! :rolleyes:

MowerMike

Threads
It's now shown on the Ryobi website. Here's a promo image, that clearly shows that Ryobi is attempting to market to the female consumer, who presumably might be intimidated by gas powered garden tools.

RY24310_A_Final-1000x1000.jpg

Meanwhile, I've used mine several times now so far with no issues.

Helpless Henry

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hope to hear more comments from Mower Mike about the Ryobi stick edger as you put more hours on the unit. Unit would fit my position perfectly but I don't want a $150 garage filler. Really interested in the PE225 but am concerned about the weight, fueling, and ease of use for me at my age (78). Thanks for the great posts!

MowerMike

Threads
Hope to hear more comments from Mower Mike about the Ryobi stick edger as you put more hours on the unit. Unit would fit my position perfectly but I don't want a $150 garage filler. Really interested in the PE225 but am concerned about the weight, fueling, and ease of use for me at my age (78). Thanks for the great posts!

It's worked out very well for me, such that I no longer use my Echo PE225 gas edger, except when redefining a trench. I'm getting more than 30 minutes run time on a full battery charge, and it is able to plow through thick St. Augustine w/o any problems. You just have to be careful to tip it and let it speed up before you begin each stretch. Also, it's better not to use it in wet and muddy conditions, since the blade guard will clog up quickly. After 50 or so uses, it hasn't missed a beat and nothing has fallen off or broken.

Helpless Henry

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Mower Mike for your quick response about the Ryobi edger. A report like this is very valuable. Ryobi in my future is very likely. Again, Thanks!

jpbarn45

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ryobi lithium batteries in terms of battery life, and echo control does have greatly improved.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
It's worked out very well for me, such that I no longer use my Echo PE225 gas edger, except when redefining a trench. I'm getting more than 30 minutes run time on a full battery charge, and it is able to plow through thick St. Augustine w/o any problems. You just have to be careful to tip it and let it speed up before you begin each stretch. Also, it's better not to use it in wet and muddy conditions, since the blade guard will clog up quickly. After 50 or so uses, it hasn't missed a beat and nothing has fallen off or broken.

My 225 clogged up to I simply cut the part of the guard on the grass side of the guard off doesn't clog any more

MowerMike

Threads
Update on the Ryobi stick edger - Still working great and battery is still good, but the blade has worn out. Ryobi does not list a replacement blade for this product, but I found out that the 9 inch blade for the Ryobi gas edgers works just fine. It's sold at Home Depot for $7.99 under the model No. AC04203, and has 638006008 LY stamped on the blade, same as the old blade on my cordless edger.