Ryobi Lithium Ion Stick Edger and Connexion System

MowerMike

Threads
Yeah if I was going to purchase the WORX I would rather just keep my trimmer because that is what makes my PE-225 edger different than the electric edger....it has an actual blade (as you said)! :thumbsup: I didn't realize the edger you are going to get has an actual blade....I thought it was just like the others....now I think it is even cooler!
View attachment 12292

Oh, I thought that it was understood that the term "stick edger" always meant that it was the metal bladed type. This one has a reversible 9" blade to double its service life and 4-position wheel depth adjustment.

Threads
Oh, I thought that it was understood that the term "stick edger" always meant that it was the metal bladed type.

Yeah it usually is, but as you said it is the first electric edger IN THE WORLD, which means I was pretty used to seeing ones that just used string considering there was never one with a blade before! :confused2:

MowerMike

Threads
My first and last Ryobi tool.

Well, I got this thing yesterday and tried it out today after the rain that we've been having for the last two days came to an end. At first everything seemed great. I gave the battery an initial charge and it started right up. Took it outside today and did some edging at the curb and along the driveway. It seemed to do a good job and was not stalling out, but then suddenly after about only 10 minutes of use it stopped running. The battery had run down ! So I took it out of the tool and recharged it, which took about 30 minutes. I put it back in the tool and depressed the trigger and......nothing....nada....rien.....nicht ! Took the battery out, put it back in the charger and it indicated full charge, pushed the battery test button and all 4 LEDs lit up, even checked the battery with a voltmeter and it was good. Put it back in the tool and still not a peep. So I turned the blade on the motor shaft and it made a rattling sound and felt rough, which was not the case when I first got it. So, it seems like something went bad in the motor, and it was broken. Although I bought it online from Home Depot, I simply threw it in my car and drove to my local Home Depot store, which is only a few miles from my house and returned it for a refund. While I was there, I bought an Echo PE-225 gas edger and am happy I did. The Echo was only $80 more than the Ryobi and is a lot more powerful. I've heard bad reports on Ryobi quality, and this simply confirms it. :frown:

This is what it looked like before I put it back in its box and returned it to Home Depot:

Attachments

• IMGP1474.jpg
    IMGP1474.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMGP1475.jpg
    IMGP1475.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMGP1476.jpg
    IMGP1476.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMGP1477.jpg
    IMGP1477.jpg
    282.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Re: My first and last Ryobi tool.

Well, I got this thing yesterday and tried it out today after the rain that we've been having for the last two days came to an end. At first everything seemed great. I gave the battery an initial charge and it started right up. Took it outside today and did some edging at the curb and along the driveway. It seemed to do a good job and was not stalling out, but then suddenly after about only 10 minutes of use it stopped running. The battery had run down ! So I took it out of the tool and recharged it, which took about 30 minutes. I put it back in the tool and depressed the trigger and......nothing....nada....rien.....nicht ! Took the battery out, put it back in the charger and it indicated full charge, pushed the battery test button and all 4 LEDs lit up, even checked the battery with a voltmeter and it was good. Put it back in the tool and still not a peep. So I turned the blade on the motor shaft and it made a rattling sound and felt rough, which was not the case when I first got it. So, it seems like something went bad in the motor, and it was broken. Although I bought it online from Home Depot, I simply threw it in my car and drove to my local Home Depot store, which is only a few miles from my house and returned it for a refund. While I was there, I bought an Echo PE-225 gas edger and am happy I did. The Echo was only $80 more than the Ryobi and is a lot more powerful. I've heard bad reports on Ryobi quality, and this simply confirms it. :frown:

This is what it looked like before I put it back in its box and returned it to Home Depot:

Can I ask A question, why did you buy the PE-225 from Home Depot rather than a dealer?

MowerMike

Threads

Can I ask A question, why did you buy the PE-225 from Home Depot rather than a dealer?

Sure. Several reasons:

1) The Home Depot store is less than 2 miles from my home and they are an authorized distributor for Echo products. They carry service parts and the edger was delivered to me completely assembled off the rack in the store. It was just gas and go. They also have a no questions asked 30 day return policy. This is a very simple tool that I can and will service and maintain myself. Also, I was given credit for the returned Ryobi edger against the purchase of the Echo PE-225.

2) The nearest full service Echo dealer is 18 miles from my house and they don't stock this model, which is the least expensive Echo edger. If I do encounter a warranty issue in the future, they are obligated to perform the repairs regardless of where I made the purchase. More than likely anything that happens to this tool will be considered normal wear and tear, and will not be covered by the warranty anyway. I have experience with engine repairs, such that I can make any repairs that may be necessary.

If this were a Stihl tool, it would be a completely different situation, since they sell only through full service dealers, and there is one within 3 miles of my house.

metz12

Threads
looks to be a cool cutting blade on the ryobi. can you buy one of those to fit your echo?

MowerMike

Threads
looks to be a cool cutting blade on the ryobi. can you buy one of those to fit your echo?

I don't think so. The Echo blade is 8 inches long and the Ryobi is 9 inches.

Threads

......and they don't stock this model, which is the least expensive Echo edger......

My dealer doesn't stock that model either but he was able to get it within 2 days! :thumbsup:

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

Sure. Several reasons:

1) The Home Depot store is less than 2 miles from my home and they are an authorized distributor for Echo products. They carry service parts and the edger was delivered to me completely assembled off the rack in the store. It was just gas and go. They also have a no questions asked 30 day return policy. This is a very simple tool that I can and will service and maintain myself. Also, I was given credit for the returned Ryobi edger against the purchase of the Echo PE-225.

2) The nearest full service Echo dealer is 18 miles from my house and they don't stock this model, which is the least expensive Echo edger. If I do encounter a warranty issue in the future, they are obligated to perform the repairs regardless of where I made the purchase. More than likely anything that happens to this tool will be considered normal wear and tear, and will not be covered by the warranty anyway. I have experience with engine repairs, such that I can make any repairs that may be necessary.

If this were a Stihl tool, it would be a completely different situation, since they sell only through full service dealers, and there is one within 3 miles of my house.

This may sound like a rant but it really is not. I don't know who told you that they, a dealer is obligated to perform the repairs and or warranty work on equipment they don't sell because that is not true. A dealer is not obligated to do warranty work on anything he does not sell. I do know the only way the dealer I buy from will work on HD equipment is if you have Proof of purchase (sales receipt) and registration form in your hand and even at that chances are unless you have been there before and purchased something from them before they may tell you to take it back to HD anyway and I know that to be fact because I've seen the owner (my dealer) do just that.
That's the reason I've always said buy from a dealer because you get the warranty and service dept along with your purchase.

Last edited:

MowerMike

Threads
@Ric - I've heard the dealer arguments before, and frankly it's not worth it unless you are buying something that is high ticket and requires service that is too complicated for a homeowner to perform. The edger cost me $229, and is unlikely to need any repairs during the warranty period, but even if it did that's not enough money to really worry about. If what you are saying is true, then if you moved to another city far from your purchase dealer, then the dealer in that city would refuse to perform warranty work because you did not make a purchase there. If there were a dealer near my house, then I would have bought it there instead of Home Depot, because the price would be the same since Home Depot does not discount Echo products.