Craftsman Riding Tractor

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I recently bought a Craftsman 16hp 2 cyl tractor.

I am not sure how old it is. There is a fuse on the left hand side under the hood right behind the dash. I have problems with that fuse blowing pretty often when trying to start the engine. The lights are completely dissconnected up at the front and the switch if off.

This fuse might blow once every 10 times I start the engine or it might blow two times in a row without ever turning the engine over. Does anybody know what all is on this fuse? Is it just for the cranking circuit? Tractor had sat up for a long time but after runing new gas through it with Sea foam in the gas it is running pretty good now.

Buckshot 1

Threads
:smile: jekjr, If you would provide us with the tractor model number. We could check the wiring schematic to see what that fuse controls and then maybe fiqure out the problem.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
From your symptoms it sounds like you have q frayed wire in your starting circuit, which is shorting out. It may also be a loose connection at the starter.

Kodie's Lawn Service

Threads
From your symptoms it sounds like you have q frayed wire in your starting circuit, which is shorting out. It may also be a loose connection at the starter.

This is the guy to ask about your mower electrity problems he has always known more than every one else

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
This is the guy to ask about your mower electrity problems he has always known more than every one else

Talked to a neighbor who works on them yesterday. He said that many times when those mowers get older that the Solenoid would start to draw more current when starting and cause that. He said jump it out till the solenoid went out. It might last for years he said.....

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would not jump past the fuse. Your just asking for trouble. I would first look at every wire to make sure they are in good shape.
Then I would spend the $10 and replace the solenoid

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would not jump past the fuse. Your just asking for trouble. I would first look at every wire to make sure they are in good shape.
Then I would spend the $10 and replace the solenoid

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

I took it to a shop yesterday AM. It needs the carb rebuilt and there is a short some where. Hopefully he will get it going by Monday.