Hover Mower

Threads
I think these mowers are really cool. They are called hover mowers. They have no wheels, but get off the ground from the blades spinning and lifting them up. Toro makes these (along with other brands). They are made for slopes that normal mowers can't handle. I can't imagine being able to cut as level as with normal mowers since when you push and pull the mower forwards and backwards it could lean up or back....creating an uneven cut. But where these mowers operate an even cut isn't always the first priority.
hover mower.png hover mower.jpg

metz12

Threads
I think these mowers are really cool. They are called hover mowers. They have no wheels, but get off the ground from the blades spinning and lifting them up. Toro makes these (along with other brands). They are made for slopes that normal mowers can't handle. I can't imagine being able to cut as level as with normal mowers since when you push and pull the mower forwards and backwards it could lean up or back....creating an uneven cut. But where these mowers operate an even cut isn't always the first priority.
View attachment 10925 View attachment 10926

that is insane!

metz12

Threads
my problem is, there is no chute!! the grass just goes everywhere! and what if by mistake you hit a stick or a smaller rock? where does it go? at least you know that a rock will fly out of the chute on a push mower which is why you point it away from something you dont want to get hit by something like that!

Threads
my problem is, there is no chute!! the grass just goes everywhere! and what if by mistake you hit a stick or a smaller rock? where does it go? at least you know that a rock will fly out of the chute on a push mower which is why you point it away from something you dont want to get hit by something like that!

Where would the rock/stick go? Through your window of course! :laughing::laughing: But that is a good point....I would not want to do that near a house! :eek:

metz12

Threads
Where would the rock/stick go? Through your window of course! :laughing::laughing: But that is a good point....I would not want to do that near a house! :eek:

and that looks sweet to trim around stuff.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Used these for years on the golf course. The way i was taught to use them was to swing side to side not push and pull.
Some even use trimmer line.
They where made for hills that would be hard to mow but smooth no humps or high and low spots.
They work best on short grass like on a golf course where you trim the grass not cut the grass.
Trimming the grass is when take less than a inch over a inch is cutting the grass.
I am sure they are not bad to use now but back 25 years ago they where not fun at all

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
View attachment 10925 View attachment 10926

Actually the blades have nothing to do with lifting the mower.The mower is a powered rotary push lawn mower that use an impeller above the spinning blades to drive air downwards creating an air cushion that lifts the mower above the ground.

The downside to the mower is that it's usability in rough terrain or on the edges of lawns as the lifting air-cushion is destroyed by wide gaps and holes between the chassis and the ground.

They were basically built to operate on steep slopes, waterfronts or around ponds and high-weeded areas, not to cut lawns and they do a poor job of that. The quality of cut is far inferior to that of a regular rotary mower because the grass is pushed away from the blade by the impeller building the cushion of air that it rides on.

Threads
Actually the blades have nothing to do with lifting the mower.The mower is a powered rotary push lawn mower that use an impeller above the spinning blades to drive air downwards creating an air cushion that lifts the mower above the ground.

The downside to the mower is that it's usability in rough terrain or on the edges of lawns as the lifting air-cushion is destroyed by wide gaps and holes between the chassis and the ground.

They were basically built to operate on steep slopes, waterfronts or around ponds and high-weeded areas, not to cut lawns and they do a poor job of that. The quality of cut is far inferior to that of a regular rotary mower because the grass is pushed away from the blade by the impeller building the cushion of air that it rides on.

Yeah...that's what I meant. I knew the blades did not literally lift the mower up, but instead the created air does.