Any Science Fair Project Ideas?

LawnBoy97

Threads
This quarter I have to do a science fair project. I really wanted to convert a lawn mower to run on propane, and then compare the cost of propane to gas and RPM and running temp. and things like that, but that seems like it would be a bit too expensive. I am really interested in small engines, but I can't think of any other projects that I can do with them. Any suggestions? Thanks

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you could show the effects of ethanol in today's fuel on the rubber and plastic parts in todays small engines, it would be a great help to every mechanic and consumer.

LawnBoy97

Threads
That's a good idea. I guess I would really need to look into all types of gasoline, and find where to get just straight gasoline, though. Thanks.

LawnBoy97

Threads
Thanks. So I was thinking about it, and I thought I could get some of the rubber carb parts and maybe some fuel tubing, and then measure the thickness and other things of them. I would then get about eight small jars and use two without liquid, two with normal gasoline with ethanol, two with ethanol free gas, and two with E-85 ethanol. I could then suspend each part in the jar with string, and let them sit for maybe like three days, and then remeasure. So my question is what exactly are the problems with ethanol that you have encountered. like do they crack, or shrivel up, or like dissolve?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Being a retired instructor your going to get a teachers point of view as to what I would like to see and why I suggested this. Problems we have seen in our shop. Fuel lines breaking down internally. Becoming soft, disintegrating, becoming mushy etc. Float needle and seats, expanding and not closing properly. We are talking about both rubber and neoprene fuel line. Somethings I would suggest. Go to your local repair shop and talk to the mechanics about this problem. Remember, not all mechanics feel that there is a problem, so you might have to try a few different shops. You will need different types of hoses and sizes, both 2 & 4 cycle. You are going to have to measure and test each sample over an extended period of time, because the breakdown takes time with different materials. It may take a couple of months for some materials to change. If you decide to do this it is going to take time and you are going to have to talk to your science instructor and do a lot of research. Let's also see if anyone else on this forum has any suggestions.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Excuse my igonorance but what is a science crafts fair?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Science fairs are school competitions for students to select a problem, investigate it, come up with a hypothesis as to the cause, tell how this problem affects the consumer or planet, and if they have enough time offer possible solutions. I have been a judge in the past, and what we are looking for is critical thinking by the student and what they went through to get to their findings. It is used to individualize a students learning in an area of their interest.

LawnBoy97

Threads
I am not too sure if we have a couple of months, but I will look into this idea more and talk to my teacher, though. More ideas would be appreciated, though. Thanks