Anybody have the big wheelhorse tractors?

slumlord

Threads
I am blessed to have a 520H from about 1992 or so. It is all wheelhorse,but says Toro/Wheelhorse on the logo decal. The Onan engine is nice and quiet,but it is a bit of a gas hog. The tyractor,transmission,and drive units are tough as a box of hammers,but not in the league of the commercial stuff.
I think that the zero turn mowers killed these fine tractor-mowers off because of price point manufacturing costs.

I throw a Wheel horse weight on one side and mow a very steep ditch from a side angle with no issues -easily a 20 degree slope. The mower cuts really nice and even, and the grass does not stick inside the deck hardly at all [48" side discharge] The mower drive is made up of belts,a pressure plate clutch and manual engagement--if it slips,it is a 3 minute job to tighten the tension a bit.The deck still has not rusted through and is solid. Rear deck wheels do wear out too fast,however.
The hydro drive is belt driven from the motor,and the rear end is the massive Uni-Drive.
I bought a 316-8 new, but it is hardly used at all because I inherited the 520. The 318 has a less robust front axle as the 520 is designed for a hydraulic loader. Rear wheels are a little smaller as well.
Let's hear your WH Tractor stories as well. Thanks for listening.

scott47429

Threads
i use to have a 98 520 LXI with a 52" cut and a 20 horse Kawasaki Liquid Cooled it had the high and low trans shaft drive hydraulic mower lift cruise control smart steering alone with power steering hydrostatic drive i had the snow plow weights and chains but i traded it for a Exmark Lazer it was a great mower but it was starting to have issues such as not cutting good and and leaking oil it never did mow great and i put new blades on it and even a new mower deck still same thing but it was a work horse thats for sure never had any problems with it plowing snow i could work circles around any 4 wheel out there plowing snow i kinda miss it this year since we have a ton of snow but ill live without it now

umtg0jn

Threads
Nice to hear good things about your 520H. Been using mine for 12 years and never had a maintenance issue. Purchased it primarily for the hydro lift to help with my arthritis problems. It came with the 60" side discharge deck that covered a lot of grass quickly. I upped the drive belt to a 5L (5/8") to stop the slipping at higher mowing speeds. Used to wear out a belt in a season but with the wider 5L and Kevlar material, they lasted 3-4 years. This tractor replaced a C-160 with 42" rear discharge deck which did not mow as evenly as the 60". The wide deck made turns without missing grass at the corners better than the 42" deck C-160. Adjustable gauge wheels added to the front corners of the big deck eliminated scalping.
Since 1985, I have owned 4 Wheel Horses even though I always started my shopping for the green and yellow machines. I have the equipment to make the 520 very useful. 10" plow, tandem disk, front blade, rear box blade, cultivator, corn planter,chisel and a earlier style Wheel Horse tiller that is in rework to fit the newer tractor. Started off with 10" wide turf tires and wheel weights but kept burning spots in the lawn with wheel spin when mowing slopes and ditch banks. 10" Ag lug tires stopped the spinning and did not tear up the lawn as someone warned was likely. They also make it possible to plow and disk without using tire chains.
Two years ago I traded the 60" deck to a neighbor who mows over 5 acres (with his 520H) for his 48" side discharge due to landscaping changes that made the wide deck unwieldy. Last year I purchased a 310-8, with 36" rear discharge, for the narrower deck for mowing between privacy hedges and fences.

Last edited:

wam525

Forum Newbie
Threads
well I've got a 520-8, that has been used since 1991. it's a great tractor, with a rear discharge mower and snow plow. The mower decks need routine welding repair, as they are made of thin steel. But the tractor itself still works well, although the gas gauge just got pinned on full.
I cut lots of heavy weed in a 2 acre field. Leave tire chains on the rear wheels year round.

umtg0jn

Threads
I now have a 2nd 520H, a 1994 with later style gear reduction steering, which is great. Regarding your fuel gauge, check your sending unit ground. Bad ground likely causes the gauge to read full.

wam525

Forum Newbie
Threads
I now have a 2nd 520H, a 1994 with later style gear reduction steering, which is great. Regarding your fuel gauge, check your sending unit ground. Bad ground likely causes the gauge to read full.

Thanks. Will check that out, although it's not quite clear yet how to access the sending unit. Maybe from underneath, but I'll need to dig out my old ramps.

umtg0jn

Threads
I need to back up on advice. There are good posts on Red Square and My Tractor Forum.com as well as here. Checked my 520's regarding access to fuel sending unit. Requires 8 bolts to remove seat and fender pan plus some wiring to disconnect. I did a search for 520 TORO fuel gauge and sending unit and found several posts similar problems. There are several post regarding ohms checking gauge and sending unit. Good luck.

wam525

Forum Newbie
Threads
I need to back up on advice. There are good posts on Red Square and My Tractor Forum.com as well as here. Checked my 520's regarding access to fuel sending unit. Requires 8 bolts to remove seat and fender pan plus some wiring to disconnect. I did a search for 520 TORO fuel gauge and sending unit and found several posts similar problems. There are several post regarding ohms checking gauge and sending unit. Good luck.

Thanks a lot for checking. 8 bolts isn't too bad. I'll take a look at the other sites as well. I think I may have one of the few remaining 520s with the manual 8 gear transmission. I was told Wheelhorse only made about 200 of these, so I'm trying to keep mine going strong.