WASH-OUT-PORTS-RIDERS ESPECIALLY

Elias40

Threads
The one thing the consumer has to worry about is corrosion. The first thing we removed was that stupid washout hose adapter provided for you for their interests, not yours. You honestly going to hook a garden hose spraying nasty water supplied by the city to a device formed out of cheap metal, partially painted- what do you think happens. Rust exacerbates. Bearing seals are designed to help keep the lubrication in, not necessarily to keep dirt and water out. Grease is a giant factor involving the length of time a bearing has before it starts making noise on it's way out. Factory is going to use the cheapest grease they can find to make sure the bearings fail in a certain amount of time, so they can make money selling you new ones, or better yet, having them do the job for you. Keeps them in business and your wallet empty. They don't care. From what I have been reading from others, is that the deck didn't make through it's first season of operation. Why? Probably because of all of the above.

Threads
I always wondered if spraying water under the deck of the mower was a bad idea! :eek:

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
I think water only causes rust if it has the right ingredients ie water oxygen and iron.
Grass as far as im aware does cause the corrosion as it retains moisture and then the above happens if you get a chip.
Also if the underneath of a mower isnt kept clean then air flow is reduced which will then cause bad collection or mulching.
Cleaning a mower is not bad. All things are sealed unless damaged.

Threads
I think water only causes rust if it has the right ingredients ie water oxygen and iron.
Grass as far as im aware does cause the corrosion as it retains moisture and then the above happens if you get a chip.
Also if the underneath of a mower isnt kept clean then air flow is reduced which will then cause bad collection or mulching.

I just clean mine with a metal scraper. It works well and I don't have to wait for the deck to dry (like it would if I used water).

Elias40

Threads
Shii, We have a 22" MTD yard machines push mower purchased in '01 that we have done nothing to, and the deck is near the gauge thickness as new. They got people complaining about deck rot out after thee years. Tell you something? In fact, we never drained the gas, and only 1 oil change, when it started to turn brown 2 seasons ago.

Elias40

Threads
I just clean mine with a metal scraper. It works well and I don't have to wait for the deck to dry (like it would if I used water).
Why? The debris will eventually dry out and fall off anyway. You guys are worried about nothing.

metz12

Threads
i use a compressor. with a needle tip.

Elias40

Threads
i use a compressor. with a needle tip.
Yes metz12;88189, that would be the best way, but a lot of people may not have access to a compressed air, so to do nothing, would be the alternative.

Kodie's Lawn Service

Threads
Best way before winter scrap all grass off then paint the under side of the deck then take a spray on oil like wd40 and rub it in then bingo best way to keep a deck clean :)