18hp B&S OHV Engine

Pete 1

Forum Newbie
Threads
This Troy Bilt 42" w/ B&S18hp OHV engine gets stuck (FLY Wheel) when trying to turn over. I have to turn the fly wheel by hand past the (Tough Spot) a few different to get lucky. When jump starting using my car helps but you still have to turn the fly wheel.

I did adjust the valves to 0002 and also 0004 to both the intake and exhaust a few different times what can I do different? when it runs it runs well! Just getting it started is frustrating.
Thanks ... Pete

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
This Troy Bilt 42" w/ B&S18hp OHV engine gets stuck (FLY Wheel) when trying to turn over. I have to turn the fly wheel by hand past the (Tough Spot) a few different to get lucky. When jump starting using my car helps but you still have to turn the fly wheel.

I did adjust the valves to 0002 and also 0004 to both the intake and exhaust a few different times what can I do different? when it runs it runs well! Just getting it started is frustrating.
Thanks ... Pete

your valve could be clearances are wrong.

Depending on model, type & code they should be 0.003-0.005 for in and 0.005-0.007 ex.
I would check this out aswell http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/small...-craftsman-lawn-tractor-starting-problem.html

possum

Threads
Just in case the valve clearance is not the problem might check and see what if anything is in the cylinder. A little oil gas mixed from a leaky carb can cause the same thing.

jakesmurray

Threads

Thanks ... Pete

It's either hydralocked (oil/gas in cylinder), or the valves are still out of adjustment. Make sure you have the correct clearances for your exact model.