18hp B&S OHV Engine

Pete 1

Forum Newbie
Threads
This Troy Bilt 42" w/ B&S18hp OHV engine gets stuck (FLY Wheel) when trying to turn over. I have to turn the fly wheel by hand past the (Tough Spot) a few different to get lucky. When jump starting using my car helps but you still have to turn the fly wheel.

I did adjust the valves to 0002 and also 0004 to both the intake and exhaust a few different times what can I do different? when it runs it runs well! Just getting it started is frustrating.
Thanks ... Pete

craigo1208

Forum Newbie
Threads
Readjust valves. .002 is to tight. Minimum of .004. On both. Check for possible fuel in crankcase. To much fluid or oil will cause that. Possible starter

craigo1208

Forum Newbie
Threads
Dont use car to jump start. Burn out solnoid and starter and alternator

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Model, type & code would be handy but valve clearance could cause your problem.
Valve clearance should be .003-.005 inlet and .005-.007 exhaust.
Also your decompressor may be not working.
And you may have excess fuel or oil in cylinder.
All depends on numbers though.

Buckshot 1

Threads
:smile: You can jump start off a car/truck. Do it without the engine running in the car/truck. Otherwise what Craigo 1208 stated will happen. I will go with what Pug stated, valves to tight or its hydro locked. Pull the plug and ground the spark plug wire. Hang a rag in front of the spark plug hole in case of hydro lock and see if the engine spins. Also like stated, MN., spec and code numbers would b e nice. Don B.