Would you buy a lawn mower with a 2 cycle engine ?

Would you buy a 2 cycle mower ?

• Yes

Votes: 23 54.8%
  • No

Votes: 19 45.2%

• Total voters

MowerMike

Threads
Although most small tools like chainsaws, string trimmers and blowers still use 2 cycle engines, they have pretty disappeared in larger tools like lawn mowers and snow blowers. This I suppose was mostly due to the EPA tightening requirements for pollution and noise reduction, but improvements have been made in 2 stroke engine design that could meet these requirements. There are many advantages in 2 cycle engines over 4 cycle engines, including lighter weight, simplicity, higher specific output, reduced maintenance and lower cost.

So, my question is that if a 2 cycle lawn mower were to become available, would you buy one ?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
lighter weight, simplicity, higher specific output, reduced maintenance and lower cost.

Frist of all I am not that familiar with 2 cycle lawn mower engines in lawn mowers. I have owned snowmobiles, and motorcycle with them. Frist of all a well made 2 cycle engine isn't that much different in weight then a 4 cycle as I can see. Pulling one out of the front of a snowmobile them 2 cycles aren't light. Simplicity ? They can be very temperamental in running. Only thing missing is the valve system. Higher output yes they get there power at a lot higher RPM. As I understand a lot of the motocross racers are going to 4 cycle now and wining races. reduced maintenance, It sure seem like we were always working on them 2 cycle engines in the snowmobiles and bikes. They would just shake themselves apart or burning up pistons if the fuel mixture was wrong. Low cost, parts aren't any cheaper for a 2 cycle then a 4 cycle. I own two scooters with 2 cycle engines but find the newer 4 cycle scooters get a lot better gas mileage. I am also saying maybe a mower is a lot different then a snowmobile or bike??

MowerMike

Threads
lighter weight, simplicity, higher specific output, reduced maintenance and lower cost.

Frist of all I am not that familiar with 2 cycle lawn mower engines in lawn mowers. I have owned snowmobiles, and motorcycle with them. Frist of all a well made 2 cycle engine isn't that much different in weight then a 4 cycle as I can see. Pulling one out of the front of a snowmobile them 2 cycles aren't light. Simplicity ? They can be very temperamental in running. Only thing missing is the valve system. Higher output yes they get there power at a lot higher RPM. As I understand a lot of the motocross racers are going to 4 cycle now and wining races. reduced maintenance, It sure seem like we were always working on them 2 cycle engines in the snowmobiles and bikes. They would just shake themselves apart or burning up pistons if the fuel mixture was wrong. Low cost, parts aren't any cheaper for a 2 cycle then a 4 cycle. I own two scooters with 2 cycle engines but find the newer 4 cycle scooters get a lot better gas mileage. I am also saying maybe a mower is a lot different then a snowmobile or bike??

The reason a motorcycle or snowmobile 2 cycle engine is as heavy as a 4 cycle is that they are now water-cooled, although they are still lighter than the larger 4 cycle water cooled engines that produce comparable power. 450cc 4 cycle MX bikes can compete against 250cc 2 cycle MX bikes and 250cc 4 cycle MX bikes against 125cc 2 cycle MX bikes. Also, 4 cycle MX engines are much harder to hot restart than 2 cycle ones after a rider falls and stalls the engine, which is why some riders still prefer them. As to mileage, it is comparable between engines producing the same power, so a 450cc 4 cycle will use about the same amount of gas as a 250cc 2 cycle.

Anyway, lawn mower engines are smaller and produce less specific power than MX racing engines, so they don't need to be water cooled, which reduces weight, maintenance and cost. They can be tuned to produce power and torque at lower RPMs to reduce fuel consumption and make suitable for lawn mower use. LawnBoy used to make very good 2 cycle mowers, but chose not to upgrade their engines to meet current more stringent EPA requirements. I have two handheld leaf blowers with 2 cycle engines that are clean, quiet and very easy to start/restart, so I don't see why this is not possible with the slightly larger displacement engines that would be needed for walk behind mowers.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
No I wouldn't buy one.

But if I owned a considerable amount of stock in a major spark plug manufacturing company, a recoil starter rope company and chiropractic clinic I'd certainly promote their sales.:laughing::laughing:

Threads
No I wouldn't buy one.

But if I owned a considerable amount of stock in a major spark plug manufacturing company, a recoil starter rope company and chiropractic clinic I'd certainly promote their sales.:laughing::laughing:

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
No I wouldn't buy one.

As far as weight goes I am talking air cooled snowmobile engines. Not light when you have have to lift a two or three cylinder 2 cycle engine out of the front of a snowmobile hood. Yes back in the early day I agree with the spark plugs, recoils and chiropractic clinic. I have found with the newer lubrication's this isn't true anymore when you can run 50 to1 oil. I am running mine 100 to 1 with Amsoil. I find the plugs and starting is just as good as any 4 cycle engine with a well tuned engine. Now don't get me wrong I am not a 2 cycle fan. They still stink and you smell like oil after being around one very long. Some people say they like the sound of a two cycle but to each there own on that I just happen to perfer the sound of a 4 cycle HD motorcycle.

MowerMike

Threads
Now don't get me wrong I am not a 2 cycle fan. They still stink and you smell like oil after being around one very long. Some people say they like the sound of a two cycle but to each there own on that I just happen to prefer the sound of a 4 cycle HD motorcycle.

My recent experience with two 2 cycle blowers when run with 50:1 TruFuel premix is that they don't smell of oil or leave any oil on the blower and certainly not on me. There is also no visible exhaust smoke. After use I don't smell gas or oil in the garage from them either. Whether that is due to the small size of the engines or the synthetic fuel I'm not sure, but it's certainly not a problem.

I don't particularly care for the sound they make, but it's not a problem because they are very quiet, even at full throttle, and I don't need ear protection when I use them.

I do wholeheartedly agree with you that the thunderous sound of a good running Harley is sheer pleasure :biggrin:

Attachments

• IMGP1442.jpg
    IMGP1442.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 14

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Nice looking bike. When I frist looked and seen the air cleaner I was thinking Sportster but then looked a little closer and then changed my thought to Dyna. My self I have a XL883C. I am not mowing grass with a 2 cycle mower. This is following a off road 2 cycle bike or snowmoble all day. Not the same must be. I was just thinking walking in back of a lawn mower you would also pick up the smell??

Parkmower

Threads
I love the smell and sound of 2 cyl everything. A question, can and do 4 cyls have a powerband like the old 2 cyl dirtbikes?

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
No I wouldn't buy one.

Does anyone even make a two stroke lawn mower engine anymore? I surely wouldn't buy one.