Would you buy a lawn mower with a 2 cycle engine ?

Would you buy a 2 cycle mower ?

• Yes

Votes: 23 54.8%
  • No

Votes: 19 45.2%

• Total voters

Fat_Bollocks

Threads
  • / Would you buy a lawn mower with a 2 cycle engine ?
My parents bought a brand new Huffy mower with that typical Clinton engine which was also used on small boats. This was back in 1955 when they moved into their new home with my older brother. It mowed without problems, until I left the country in '86. It mowed well beyond that. It used reed valves which kept it economical and powerful within the powerband necessary for mowing. I don't see any reason for a lawnmower to operate on four cycles, except to comply with emissions which is rediculous, judging by how pollution isn't contained within a country's borders. If governments were serious about reducing pollution altogether, they would be working on reducing world population.
An air pollution map:

91395271_4c6a7f44-048d-48e5-b2ad-432ee54e3600-618x347.jpg

Deforestation doesen't help matters, either

Screen-Shot-2018-12-05-at-5.32.44-AM-618x319.png

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I wish more people could see these maps. Thanks for posting them.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
two cycle equipment is to much work keeping it running.

The simple rule with 2 strokes is to starve the engines off.
Doing that will ensure they start easily & reliably .
Killing the ignition loads up the plugs which is fine for a hot start but will make cold starts very difficult.

Fat_Bollocks

Threads
I wish more people could see these maps...
There's a map somewhere showing where all the plastic which lands in the sea comes from. The same government who's pushing the environmental excuse is the same one outsourcing jobs to those polluting countries

f5769e27e24d9384ecb24179545b382f8ad8ec6b.jpeg

bogdaN

Threads
Yes I would buy one,just bring back Lawnboys.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I wish more people could see these maps. Thanks for posting them.

I wish before that the people who make these maps would be a tad more accurate.
3/4 of Australia has been desert for 60,000 years according to the legends of the people who were here before the white men came with axes & saws.
1/3 of the USSR was steppes so no deforestation there either.
China is chopping down their Pawlona forest at a massive rate to supply them & Japan with disposable chopsticks.
India which again had very large areas of desert / grasslands is loosing forests to broadacre agriculture faster than they are replanting and Pakastan has deforested so much they are suffering massive mudslides each & every monsoon season.

If the Global warming advocates produced literature that was believable then more people would believe them and governments could be forced into actions.
But while they continue to throw out stuff that is obviously totally inaccurate to being downright fictious they get little credibality so can be easily and logically denied.
Telling people that the oceans will rise 15 meters might be a good scare tactic if you own waterfront land but like the religious zealots who keep telling people the second coming will be on a particular date.
When it does not happen no one believes them or any one else touting a similar story.

The fact about 2 strokes & pollution that over the like cycle of the mower, they create about 1/3 of the pollution that 4 strokes do and in particular the new EPA compliant lean burn engines that run very hot and wear out very fast.
However the self serving saviours of the planet choose to ignore oil that the 4 stroke burn & oil that is removed from a 4 stroke sump. They also ignore embedded pollution created during the manufacture of the mowers and the embeded pollution in the logistical chain that gets the mower to your front door.
So the only pollution in their tiny closed minds is what comes out the exhaust pipe.
For those mowers that discharge the exhaust under the base plate, mush of the heavier parts of the exhaust gas and in particular the unburned oil combines with the grass clippings and is biologiclly decomposed along with the clippings and there is some work that suggest that these clippings compost faster & better than the clippings from a 4 stroke , but that is way too complicated for the tiny minded to comprehend.

Fat_Bollocks

Threads
...1/3 of the USSR was steppes so no deforestation there either.
China is chopping down their Pawlona forest at a massive rate to supply them & Japan with disposable chopsticks...
As Russia was just a republic of the entire USSR, the border between them and China was enforced. Since the dissolvement of the USSR, corruption and indifference on the part of the Russiam government has led to unbridled illegal deforestation and poaching. As soon as the Russian government diverts its attention from jailing political dissedents to using that energy for imprisoning corrupt border guards and for shooting poachers as well as illegal loggers on sight, they would automatically have fewer political dissidents.
Yes, that particular map is somewhat inaccurate, because it fills in the entire country with color, instead of only coloring the particular area which is getting deforested. The map also doesen't take into account historical deforestation carried out by ancient Romans in what's now former Yugoslavia and Albania as well as Native Americans deforesting parts of the southwest of that country, as well as that done by colonialists worldwide, just to name a few
...the unburned oil combines with the grass clippings and is biologiclly decomposed along with the clippings...
That's fine, if you're mixing SAE 30 salad oil into the fuel. Our old 1955 Huffy mower recommended using strictly SAE 30 non-detergent mineral oil. Well, the mower itself didn't. The sticker glued in plain sight on the mower did. Why non-detergent is still beyond my ability to comprehend this. My worry would be more the compostability of modern synthetic and half-synthetic oils, in countries where non-detergent SAE 30 mineral oil is simply unavailable

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That's fine, if you're mixing SAE 30 salad oil into the fuel. Our old 1955 Huffy mower recommended using strictly SAE 30 non-detergent mineral oil. Well, the mower itself didn't. The sticker glued in plain sight on the mower did. Why non-detergent is still beyond my ability to comprehend this. My worry would be more the compostability of modern synthetic and half-synthetic oils, in countries where non-detergent SAE 30 mineral oil is simply unavailable

Actually you are way off.
Oil is just carbon or rather the excriment of bacteria .
It is a NATURAL product and will happily NATURALLY decompose in the enviroment.
In fact there is around 300 different bacteria that thrive on oil so SMALL or Dilute oil spills are not a problem and about 20 fungii .
It has been demonstrated that you can plant fungaii spores into oil contaminated soil and they thrive.
Further more cattle can eat the fungaii and they thrive.Only downside is time, it takes several years before all of the spilled oil is consumed.
LARGE oil spills are a problem because there is a fixed rate that nature can decompose oils and different crudes decompose at different rates.

You can run most modern 2 strokes on strait canola oil or caster oil for that matter.
Even better is to use vegie oil in our chainsaws oil tank.
The down side of this is the bacteria in the oil soaked swarf can cause a spontanius combustion event.

Most self appointed enviromental crusaiders , while being very passionate, have no understanding of science.
his is why I cancelled my life subscription to Greenpeace.
The scientists got elbowed out by the humanities graduates and the whole shebang became a medium for expansion of egos that were already way too big to start with.

There is a weird idea that anything & everything man made or modified is absolute poision to the enviroment and everything "natural" can do no damage.
Too much water is every bit as dangerous as too much oil

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
. Why non-detergent is still beyond my ability to comprehend this. My worry would be more the compostability of modern synthetic and half-synthetic oils, in countries where non-detergent SAE 30 mineral oil is simply unavailable

That is because you have no understanding of the chemistry of oils.
As there is no filter on most mowers there is no need to keep all of the particulates in fine suspension totally encaapsulated by the detergent molecules to allow for quick & easy removal.
Further more mower oils contain a lot more anti-corrosion chemicals , water dispersants & anti skuf metal oxides ( zinc usually ).
Keeping all of these in the oil is difficult when the detergent content is high.