Saw Replaced

dartlover67

Threads
Last year we were robbed.Took 2 of my Stihl Chainsaws.One was near and dear to my heart it was my Grandfathers.An old Stihl 041 farmboss.The most powerfull saw I ever used.So,I bought one that needs work.It will start with a little fuel in the carb and then dies.I'm sure I will be asking alot of questions as I rebuild it.Can you help me with a starting point with this issue?Thank you in advance.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would start by cleaning and rebuilding the carb. If it has been sitting around for awhile, with today's fuels, I suspect that you will find some gunk block the fuel passage ways. I would also closely inspect yje fuel lines. If you find anything questionable replace them.

Threads
Last year we were robbed.Took 2 of my Stihl Chainsaws.One was near and dear to my heart it was my Grandfathers.An old Stihl 041 farmboss.The most powerfull saw I ever used.So,I bought one that needs work.It will start with a little fuel in the carb and then dies.I'm sure I will be asking alot of questions as I rebuild it.Can you help me with a starting point with this issue?Thank you in advance.

WELCOME TO LMF!
I would suggest looking at the following threads to see if you get any other ideas.

http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/small-engine-mower-repair/1014-my-chain-saw-wont-stay-running.html

http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/small-engine-mower-repair/7565-tiller-wont-stay-running.html

Good luck! :smile:

dartlover67

Threads
Thank you so much.Starting on it now.Called for rebuild kit,local Stihl dealer has it in stock.Amazing,these saws are from the early 70"s.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When you go in to pick up the kit, take the saw along. Your local dealer may give you some tips as to what to look for. Also, get a new intake gasket, incase you tear the old one.

dartlover67

Threads
Holy Smokes guys.Started taking the carb apart and there was dirt in the port inlet of the fuel.Gently blew it out.put it back together and she started on the 6th pull and stayed running.Idle is to high,theres the next issue.Thank you guys and Thank God.