Repairs Add grease fitting to self-propelled gear box

kjfishman

Threads
My last lawnmower was a Lawn Boy self propelled. The gear box quit working so I dissassembled it and found the grease had hardened and destroyed the gears. I noticed there wasn't a grease fitting on the gear box. Since then I bought a Troy Built self propelled and noticed it didn't have a grease fitting. Wanting to be proactive is there Any reason I can't drill a hole and insert a grease fitting?

Thanks

scott47429

Threads
well i would just leave it be cause you drill it you will get metal shaving inside the gear case and even if you don't when you pump more and more grease into it the grease has to go someplace so it will find its way out the seals and gaskets

possum

Threads
The problem will be voiding your warranty if the mower was purchased new. The box is plastic, at least the cover. You might be better off if the mower is not under warranty to take the cover off, clean out the grease and put in new. I have a mower like this and have considered the same thing as you. If you do it let us know how it works.

Mac in PA

Threads
If it is actually a gear drive assembly, then adding a grease fitting should be no problem. I did this to my M Series Lawn Boy when I bought it back in 1996. It has a 3 speed gear box and is still working good today.
A few pumps of grease 2 or 3 times a year works wonders. :thumbsup:

When you drill the hole put some grease on the drill bit and it will collect the metal shavings.

Mac

kjfishman

Threads
If it is actually a gear drive assembly, then adding a grease fitting should be no problem. I did this to my M Series Lawn Boy when I bought it back in 1996. It has a 3 speed gear box and is still working good today.
A few pumps of grease 2 or 3 times a year works wonders. :thumbsup:

When you drill the hole put some grease on the drill bit and it will collect the metal shavings.

Mac

Thanks to all for the replies