Comparison Honda model number differentiations

Pcola-Mike

Forum Newbie
Threads
Perhaps the Honda dude can help on this one. I am looking to buy a new Honda at HD. The general model number is HRR216VKA, but on the Honda website, under that model, they list HRR2168VKA, HRR216K8VKA as well, plus I saw a HRR2166VKA at HD as well. I called Honda for their help and for the second time they were not only not helpful, but gave me incorrect info and generally seemed to not care to not know what they were talking about.

So before I buy, I just wanted to know what suttle differences there are with these mowers, for I have seen a couple things from just visual insopection alone. Thanks.

PS Are there any concerns with these mowers, seems like I read a post or two about some issues. And does Honda ever do any promos or throw out a coupon to help a brother out :).

Threads
Perhaps the Honda dude can help on this one. I am looking to buy a new Honda at HD. The general model number is HRR216VKA, but on the Honda website, under that model, they list HRR2168VKA, HRR216K8VKA as well, plus I saw a HRR2166VKA at HD as well. I called Honda for their help and for the second time they were not only not helpful, but gave me incorrect info and generally seemed to not care to not know what they were talking about.

So before I buy, I just wanted to know what suttle differences there are with these mowers, for I have seen a couple things from just visual insopection alone. Thanks.

PS Are there any concerns with these mowers, seems like I read a post or two about some issues. And does Honda ever do any promos or throw out a coupon to help a brother out :).

WELCOME TO LMF!
I don't know as much about Hondas as robert@honda does, but I might be able to help you out some. (Also, robert@honda might not reply to your thread until Monday.) I don't know what the small differences are, but I have researched a lot about Hondas. I doubt Honda would do any promos to help people out, but if you buy a mower now, it might be cheaper than in the spring--when there is a big demand. As for problems with the HRR216VKA, there are not many. They are really good mowers. In some cases the Smart Drive gets stuck on the fastest speed (which is like 3.6 mph or something like that), but I don't think it is hard to fix. And that doesn't happen often. I would definitely recommend the Honda mower--they have a great cut, great mulching, start easy, etc.
Good luck, and make sure you post pics of it if you get it! :smile:

P.S. You mentioned HD in your post; it is better to get it from a dealer if possible because they can service what they sell.

Pcola-Mike

Forum Newbie
Threads
Went to HD tonight, the mower, which was $420 months ago, had dropped to $399, then to $349, and then I used a 15% off competitor coupon to end up getting the mower for around $325 with tax, very pleased. The model number was the HRR2168VKA, and one difference between it and the HRR2166VKA was that the 2168 has an adjustable handle (2 maybe 3 holes near the frame to adjust the angle of the handle). I'm curious what the Honda dude will tell me, hopefully the 2168 was added with more feaures and not stripped of any :). Will use it for the first time in a few days...will plan on only using ethanol-free gas (with stabilizer) and will install filter on the fuel line. So we we'll see from here...

Threads
Went to HD tonight, the mower, which was $420 months ago, had dropped to $399, then to $349, and then I used a 15% off competitor coupon to end up getting the mower for around $325 with tax, very pleased. The model number was the HRR2168VKA, and one difference between it and the HRR2166VKA was that the 2168 has an adjustable handle (2 maybe 3 holes near the frame to adjust the angle of the handle). I'm curious what the Honda dude will tell me, hopefully the 2168 was added with more feaures and not stripped of any :). Will use it for the first time in a few days...will plan on only using ethanol-free gas (with stabilizer) and will install filter on the fuel line. So we we'll see from here...

Nice! Could you post some pictures??

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
When Honda makes a running change to a mower, there's a change to what we call the K-number. Think of it kind of like software, e.g, version 1.0, 2.2, 3.5, etc. The letter K and/or the number associated with it may or may not appear on the carton, advert, etc.

The K-number on mowers follows the 216 or 217 sequence. Honda is not consistent about including the K-number in every instance of printed stuff, like price cards, boxes, etc., but it is always on the serial number plate on the mower deck.

For the HRR216, the most current version is a K8, so you may (or may not) see the "8" appear. Again, it will be on the serial number plate.

K-numbers aren't model years. Mowers (at least Honda's) don't have model years. Some versions are in steady production for many years at a time, and others may change as often as twice in 12 months.

The K8 version of the HRR has a few changes from the K7, including a different design Smart Drive, a revised rear discharge door, etc. Generally, when the K-number goes up, so do the features and price, but not always. For the HRR, the K7-->K8 price stayed the same, but the K8 dropped the leaf-mulching option, and eliminated the need to buy a cost-up side discharge chute.

In another thread in the Honda forum, I posted a few details about new Honda models set to debut next spring. The HRR versions will be K9 mowers.

Hope this clears it up...just ask if you have questions.

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Welcome to LawnMowerForum!

I moved your thread to the Honda forum. :smile:

Normstorm

Threads
Thanks for the good info, Robert!

Just bought a used HRX2173HYA Serial# MAGA - 2030923. Its awesome! Thought it would be easy to find appx age but Honda's Model #'s kinda confusing!? The closest thing I could find on a Honda parts page Is HRX217K3HYA. Since you own 2-3 of these is it safe to say mine was made around 2013?

Robert said the K is always on the deck sticker but there is no K on mine. My Bad - the 3 IS the "K Number" and it IS on the label! Label says HRX2173HYA.

I think maybe I have deciphered the HRX to be "Honda, Rotory, Nexite Plastic Deck" 217 means 21" blades and GCV190 Engine. Beyond that I give up. K3 is a certain version (I guess) but then there also seems to be an HYA ...A (Two A's!) on some parts lists. Very Confusing. OR - does the X stand for "Roto Stop" ?

Not that important. Based on how long I have been using an older used honda this newer one should outlast me most likely. I should have bought a "roto stop" model 10 years ago! Game Changer.