Repair Victor Mower

abrogard

Forum Newbie
Threads
Repair Victa Mower

I've got an old two stroke Victa mower. Any Australians in these forums?

For a long time it's been making a loud rattling sound as it mows and in the last couple of mows it got really fierce. Sounds like something's loose down there at the bottom of the motor.

I suspect a broken bearing or something like that. Can't imagine what else. Don't know enough. Not much of a mechanic. Never worked on mowers.

It is not the blades or the disc. They all seem well fastened down, no movement in them.

So the question is: can I pull this thing apart and find this problem and fix it - me being an ordinary bloke without much mechanical know-how - or would I be better off giving up and going out and getting a new one?

i.e. is fixing the 'gearbox' end of 2 stroke mowers a big job?

Last edited:

midnite rider

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've got an old two stroke Victor mower.

Excuse me if I am wrong but I believe they are called Victa mowers, although they were invented by Mervyn Victor Richardson of Australia. :wink:

midnite rider

Lawn Addict
Threads
So the question is: can I pull this thing apart and find this problem and fix it - me being an ordinary bloke without much mechanical know-how - or would I be better off giving up and going out and getting a new one?
I would advise you would be better off to get a new mower in your circumstance.
By the way :welcome: to LMF, Abrogard. :smile:

abrogard

Forum Newbie
Threads
Re: Repair Victa Mower

Yes, quite right. 'Victa'. How could I make such an elementary mistake. I've corrected what I can but I can't change the thread title.

Well if I might as well get a new mower I might as well rip this one apart to find out for myself just what kind of job it is, I suppose.

Does taking it apart anyway mean that asking the question was superfluous?

No. Not at all. Because taking it apart knowing it to be a job most probably beyond my expertise or beyond sound economic sense to fix is quite different to taking it apart looking to fix it.

I can be rough and ready and not worry about prising stuck things out or perhaps twisting the heads off bolts or mashing the slots in a phillips head screw or taking a little something apart that was never meant to come apart.... etc... makes a big difference to a bloke like me.

And I don't need to have time constraints: gotta finish this in a week or the grass'll be hopeless.....

Just a no pressure, worry free thing.

Excellent. Thanks for the tip. Now the question is what kind of mower to buy to replace it.

And I'd love to hear some guesses at what it might be that - from the sound of it - is spinning round and round down there... still spins round for some time after the motor has stopped going round..

midnite rider

Lawn Addict
Threads
Good idea as you can learn as you go with no worries and no time frame to have to finish in. I will let others recommend a new mower for you to choose from as I am not familier with your choices in your great country. Good luck to you and let us know your questions when disassembling the Victa.

abrogard

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ah well, that's that job done. I finally got down to it and took the tank off so's I could upend the thing and did just that: upended it.

Found the plate with the blades was rotating freely on the shaft. Not 'with' the shaft but around the shaft.

Tightened up the nut.

Mower's good again.

:)

midnite rider

Lawn Addict
Threads
Congratulations, a little work and a lot of money saved. Most repairs usually are minor, way to go. :thumbsup: