Snapper push mower--repair or replace?

ctm25

Threads
Looking for some advice here:
I have about a 6 1/2 year old snapper self propelled push mower with a Briggs 125k02 0141 engine. I've done some work on it myself, including replacing the carburetor, but the mower starts after about 10 pulls. I've replaced the primer bulb, but it doesn't seem to pull any fuel for some reason.

In addition, the mower doesn't seem to burn fuel that cleanly--perhaps I need to clean the cylinder head?

Just based on the cost of professional repairs, I was wondering whether it might makes sense to simply replace the engine with maybe a ohv engine, assuming I could get a new engine for under $200? I have no experience doing so, but I'm guessing I could do this in a couple of hours? Would this be a sensible thing to do given the age of the mower (the drive system and deck work fine)? If you guys think an engine replacement makes sense, what brand/size would you recommend? Honda? 160 or 190?

Alternatively, I could buy a new one (I'm not sure whether I could sell or trade mine for much), or spend the money getting it serviced at a local shop (but I'm hesitant to spend over $100 bucks or more on this).

Thanks and any thoughts are appreciated.

CTM

Last edited:
Threads
Both things are good ideas. If you like that mower and think you can get an engine for less than a mower, go ahead and replace the engine. But if you have the money and want to jump at the chance to buy a new mower, you could do that also.

ctm25

Threads
How challenging would a replacement be---would I be in over my head as a first timer?

And how long might I expect the rest of the mower (the deck, transmission) to last?

Thanks for the advice.

Another issue is I like to mow fast, but notice sometimes I miss blades of grass when doing so. Would a better engine help? Also, would I find a noticeable improvement in smoothness of the engine, as well as less emissions, with something like a honda ohv?

Threads
How challenging would a replacement be---would I be in over my head as a first timer?

And how long might I expect the rest of the mower (the deck, transmission) to last?

Thanks for the advice.

Another issue is I like to mow fast, but notice sometimes I miss blades of grass when doing so. Would a better engine help? Also, would I find a noticeable improvement in smoothness of the engine, as well as less emissions, with something like a honda ohv?

OK...to start off...I would not know how to take off the engine, so I would not choose that. But if you know more than me, it might not be impossible. Next, I already had to take in my mower to fix the gears because the drive wouldn't work. I had my mower 6 years. I don't know how long your transmission will last, but it is not that hard to take it in and get it fixed. As for the deck, that will last longer (probably; if it is in OK shape right now). If you had a new engine you COULD experience a better cut, if the engine is "stronger" (a.k.a. a 190 cc on my one mower compared to the 160 cc on my other). It would cut better if the blades had a higher tip speed (which means it can cut good at a high speed because the blades are spinning faster). I don't know if a Honda OHV engine would be "smoother", but I love mine. Starts on first pull every time. :thumbsup:
I hope that helped some! :smile:

ctm25

Threads
Thanks for the input. I would be greatly appreciative if someone could chime in regarding how feasible a do it yourself engine replacement would be for someone who hasn't tried it before.

Threads
Thanks for the input. I would be greatly appreciative if someone could chime in regarding how feasible a do it yourself engine replacement would be for someone who hasn't tried it before.

This video might help you take the engine off:
(video by donyboy73)

ctm25

Threads
Thanks. So maybe this is doable.

I'm thinking I could get several more years out of the mower this way, and since the deck and drive seem to be good quality, I would save substantially compared to buying new or paying a repair shop.

Any thoughts on what engine I should be looking at? Are there any particular compatibility issues to be concerned with, such as location of the wires, engine power/speed, etc? Any brand or seller recommendations?

Threads

I'm thinking I could get several more years out of the mower this way, and since the deck and drive seem to be good quality, I would save substantially compared to buying new or paying a repair shop.

Any thoughts on what engine I should be looking at? Are there any particular compatibility issues to be concerned with, such as location of the wires, engine power/speed, etc? Any brand or seller recommendations?

I agree, I think your mower will last a lot longer (at least the deck) if you store it inside. I don't know about any compatibility issues, but if this engine is compatible, I could go with the GCV190 Honda engine. Super powerful!! Here: Honda Power Equipment: Honda Generators, Lawn Mowers, Snowblowers, Tillers

ctm25

Threads
Anyone else around?

slammed

Threads
Looking for some advice here:
I have about a 6 1/2 year old snapper self propelled push mower with a Briggs 125k02 0141 engine. I've done some work on it myself, including replacing the carburetor, but the mower starts after about 10 pulls. I've replaced the primer bulb, but it doesn't seem to pull any fuel for some reason.

In addition, the mower doesn't seem to burn fuel that cleanly--perhaps I need to clean the cylinder head?

Just based on the cost of professional repairs, I was wondering whether it might makes sense to simply replace the engine with maybe a ohv engine, assuming I could get a new engine for under $200? I have no experience doing so, but I'm guessing I could do this in a couple of hours? Would this be a sensible thing to do given the age of the mower (the drive system and deck work fine)? If you guys think an engine replacement makes sense, what brand/size would you recommend? Honda? 160 or 190?

Alternatively, I could buy a new one (I'm not sure whether I could sell or trade mine for much), or spend the money getting it serviced at a local shop (but I'm hesitant to spend over $100 bucks or more on this).

Thanks and any thoughts are appreciated.

CTM

Thanks for the advice.

Anyone else around?

:smile:Hi I'm around.:smile: Welcome to LMF This is very doable and easy. All it takes is a few minutes, a few tools, and the new motor. Start by taking the blade off the old mower motor, then take the usually 4 bolts off the bottom of the old motor and unhook the cables from it. Motors off the old mower at this time you may want to clean and paint the bottom side of the deck good. then put the new motor back on in the reverse order from how you took it off.