Chain saws

LANDSCAPER34

Threads
Sandy left an impact. Does anyone k is where I could find a good chainsaw but low priced for my friend?

possum

Threads
Go to a big box store and buy a good sized electric if the damage is near a power outlet. Another option is a Poulan 14 or 16 inch gas powered. About any hardware stores have those and the electric ones as well. Those cheap homeowner Stihl saws are a good bet and a good saw for the most part. If the job is really large and dangerous might be better to just wait for a pro outfit with proper equipment and good liability insurance. The problem folks run into is not as a rule the brand of saw so much as the damage they can and sometimes do to themselves, others, and others things. I myself cannot handle a chainsaw as well as I could 20 years ago, so I try to be careful and do not cut off more than I think i can handle. Protective gloves, eyeware, boots, clothing, chaps etc. are probobly more important than the saw.

moltroub

Forum Newbie
Threads
My prayers go out to you. Having experienced Hugo and no power for three weeks, try to find some local woodworkers who might be willing to help for the wood. We had some local hardware stores who sold generators, chain saws etc at cost. We even had a store that opened up the day after Hugo with no electricity and sold items that were necessities not luxuries taking checks. However, you will need to be careful of the one or two stores that will up the price.

Everything that is needed will be harder to find. See if anyone is sending truckloads of items. You might have to go out of your neighborhood. Depending on how many trees are down or where the one tree is located, you may have to wait a few months for a good used one. Where we lived, we got together and cleared the road first, then the elderly's driveways, disabled, etc whomever might need medical care. Trees in the yard had to wait. After the initial rush, people who ran out and bought chain saws didn't want them
anymore.

Get a couple extra chains and a bar so you don't have to stop and sharpen.