Engine Early 80's troy built tiller

jobe.ster

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an early 80's troy built tiller.My problem is it has way to much compression.When I pull on the recoil the rope is pulled back out of my hands and sometimes feels like it breaks my wrist!!!!! Any idea's on what I can do to fix this or lower the compression?Why would it all of the sudden have so much compression?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Most likely cause of the symptoms you're describing is a parcially sheared flywheel key. I would start by pulling the flywheel and install a new key. Sometimes they even look like they are good. Next possible cause would be valve timing or bad compression release mechanism.

jobe.ster

Forum Newbie
Threads
What is the compression release mechanism??I've heard of it but have no idea what it is.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The compression release mechanism is attached to the camshaft and under slow RPM's allows the exhaust valve to open slightly to release some of the pressure in the cylinder, making it easier to spin the engine over during starting. I doubt that it is your problem and would be the last thing I would check.

jobe.ster

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok,thank you for your help so far.I broke the recoil trying to start this motor so I have to get a new one.so I'll be down for a couple of days til I get that.I will however check the keyway and replace that in the mean time.