bypass a seat switch

dgmorey

Forum Newbie
Threads
how do i bypass a seat switch on an Ariens riding lawn tractor?

chance123

Threads
Sorry but I would hope they knew what I was saying.

LOL I know, but I have told my customers over the phone to do the same thing, and they ended up jumping the disconnected seat switch instead of the wire harness plug. Not everyone has what we take for granted.

countrybumpkin

Forum Newbie
Threads
My Craftsman has 2 nuts that can be tightened and make the switch without having to jump the wires.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Chance, if you are repairing lawn equipment as a business or on the side, I would like to warn you that you are liable for any injures which may occur to the operator of that equipment. I never tell any customer how to disable a safety switch. Before you ask, yes I have disabled safety switches, for diagnosis, but make sure they are working before the unit goes out. The way todays society works I would be very nervous in doing that. If you have a business and you find a unit with a safety switch disconnected, by law you have two choices. Reconnect all safety switches before retiming it to the customer or tell the customer you cannot work on the unit unless he allows you to put things back in proper order. Liability insurance is high enough already, don't want it to go higher. Just wanted you and anyone else who works on equipment to know that even if you do it as a sideline, you can still be held liable.

chance123

Threads
Chance, if you are repairing lawn equipment as a business or on the side, I would like to warn you that you are liable for any injures which may occur to the operator of that equipment. I never tell any customer how to disable a safety switch. Before you ask, yes I have disabled safety switches, for diagnosis, but make sure they are working before the unit goes out. The way todays society works I would be very nervous in doing that. If you have a business and you find a unit with a safety switch disconnected, by law you have two choices. Reconnect all safety switches before retiming it to the customer or tell the customer you cannot work on the unit unless he allows you to put things back in proper order. Liability insurance is high enough already, don't want it to go higher. Just wanted you and anyone else who works on equipment to know that even if you do it as a sideline, you can still be held liable.

You are absolutely correct. The question was asked in the first post on this topic and he didn't state his reasons. My thought was that he perhaps believes he has a faulty switch and to know for sure, jump it.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I understand, it's just that when I see people who are in business post about jumping, I want to remind them about what could happen. I have gotten so paranoid on this that I never even tell posters how to do it. Had a friend who worked on the side tell someone and ended up getting sued. I know this is a help site, but sometimes we have to protect ourselves by not helping. Individuals here (non business people) must realize that they are not invisible and watch what they post. I call it CYA. Sorry if I offended you.

scott47429

Threads
i never tell anyone how to bypass a safety switch either i don't want to responsible for them the rest of there disabled lives as a customer when i bought my used Exmark that i have as my avatar after the dealer delivered it ( not the dealer i use now ) the seat safety switch was bypassed and when i pointed it out to the owner of the dealership ( he just happened to be the guy delivering that day ) as i was looking the mower over and after he had told me the shop had gone all the way through this mower and found nothing wrong with it he knocked off another 200 bucks I'm not the type of person to turn someone in for that but if i had been it could have cost him alot more then 200 bucks but thats just my 2 cents ( by the way there not a Emark dealer he joust happened to have that one as a trade in )